Steaming from 4TB My cloud

When I first bought my unit 3 years ago, I would send a link and my son could watch a film in Turkey or Brazil all over the world. He uses all apple I am an android man except for my macbook. It then all changed and whenever i sent a link it required a login in. Now even when I send a link to my own phone on a different wireless network and signed in or out of the app, it starts to download the file. This is useless to me, unless I’m in my home network it does not stream, which really has no point for me.

My son now lives in Mexico, and today I decided as I do every six months to try and fix the issue. I cannot use plex as my unit is single bay. I have linked Dropbox but works in reverse to the way I need i to otherwise I would of tried to use their in app media player. I went into dashboard and set up a share. I also set up NFS and FTP, still it did not work. Either on my macbook or android phone

I then sent a link to my wife’s Iphone. She only had the out of box media players installed and no MyCloud app. I clicked on the link and it opened a browser (which i imagine is safari) tried to load a player and failed. However I noticed it re-formated the link in the explorer bar of the browser. The link initially started with My Cloud OS3 End of Service | Western Digital? and was not an overtly long link. But the new one was long and started with https://device6322495-ccd42111.wd2go.com. I copied and pasted the this link into the url stream sections on VLC and MX Player and they both worked, streamed direct without a login. The link also works on all devices without the need for any logging in

I guess what I am asking is does anyone know how to create this secondary link without me having to send it to my wives phone. Please let me know if this works for anyone else and any ideas on how take the process forward

Plex WILL work on a single bay mycloud, it just cannot transcode on the fly. If you manually re-encode to a clean MP4 of appropriate bitrate (or queue up the mycloud to produce such pre-rendered versions itself, which it totally can do… very slowly.) it will work just fine.

I recently donated my Gen2 to a coworker for use as a plex server.

Thank you for your help. I have found a very simple way to get it to work by opening media in the my cloud app on my home network. Then copying and or sharing url the via the media player itself. My son is able to immediately view the streams.