Static IP (upper range) fixed my disconnecting issue

So I’m connected for now. Normally it wouldn’t stay connected for more then few hours, and hopefuly it will help few other people.

I have picked a static IP that was totally different then given on the install (which was 192.168.0.10)

and chose 192.168.0.150.

My cable provider’s router/modem doesn’t assign IPs so I have changed the range of DHCP to be between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.149 to ensure that WD my cloud’s new ip is always free.

Since then it has been connected hopefully that was it. Stayed connected on previous firmware and new one that we just got. Also I have sleep as off for now.

@ Danielkr,

Mine is also in the upperlevel and mine is not disconnecting but is with DHCP reservation and the My Cloud on DHCP. It only disconnects when I reboot or shutdown, logically :wink: which I do every once and while just to test it and see if it gets back online. So far over 30 days now and nearly all things work even sleeping.

Still on the older Firmware, I am not charmed by the new one since so much trouble has arisen from it already. I will take the plunge when nearly everyone is turning silent after a new release and starts to praise WD for finally giving the posh nosh firmware.

:smiley:

I too believe that changing my WDMC to static IP was a huge step forward, assigning an IP address above the DHCP range, in my case 192.168.1.201. Since doing that the system has been purring along, doing everything I want without a single issue. I have all options active and nothing changed via SSH.

AND, after connecting my WDMC and PC directly to my Apple AirPort Extreme WiFi Base Station, I’m getting lightening speeds when uploading/downloading contect between them. My WAN connection (Ethernet Port) can only run up to 100 MB (Full Duplex). All client systems in the house are served by the APE WiFi (PC is wired), haven’t noticed any slow issues, or any issues for that matter. Also, I wonder if it helped my configuration as the Apple APE is IPv6 capable? My WAN connection is not… but all of my household items work through the APE.

Not making excuses for WD, but when you consider the complexity of all the various network configurations, and services, with a multitude of OEM elements, DSL Routers, Switches, WiFi Base Stations, etc., it doesn’t surprise me that there have been some issues to resolve.

System has been up and stable for over 36 hours at this point… I’M DELIGHTED WITH THE PRODUCT, fits our needs perfectly.

:smiley:

Just wanted to provide another update that it has been 3 weeks running solid without issues after I changed ip to static on WD device to be out of my routers DCHP range.  No problem having it as media server for my TV and other devices.

That’s good news.  I have had my two units set up all along the same as yours are now and never had a disconnect problem.  Setting assigned (or static) IPs out of the DHCP range of your router is the correct procedure and assuming there are no other issues you should not have a problem.  What kind of router do you have?  I’m wondering if you also have UPNP configured (which is also the way to go).

danielkr wrote:

So I’m connected for now. Normally it wouldn’t stay connected for more then few hours, and hopefuly it will help few other people.

I have picked a static IP that was totally different then given on the install (which was 192.168.0.10)

and chose 192.168.0.150.

My cable provider’s router/modem doesn’t assign IPs so I have changed the range of DHCP to be between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.149 to ensure that WD my cloud’s new ip is always free.

Since then it has been connected hopefully that was it. Stayed connected on previous firmware and new one that we just got. Also I have sleep as off for now.

Unrelated to the current service issue…

If you assign a static IP the DHCP shouldn’t use that address anyway and should skip it when auto-assigning IP addresses in a range you specify.  It’s better to give it a higher static IP address outside the range you assign for DHCP just like you did.  This prevents conflicts of assigned IP addresses which can happen on occasion. 

As a good rule of thumb, create a DHCP range that allows for enough automatic IP address assignments for devices that frequently get powered cycled and need a fresh IP address to connect like desktops, laptops, mobile devices, etc.  Equipment and Hardware are best to assign a static IP above that range as they tend to have much longer uptime and you always know exactly which static IP address to use to find a device.  Or, you may opt to assign nothing but static IP addresses to all devices and equipment but I find the combination of both to be the best option for many users.  Good job.