"Starting Recovery" for the past three days...WHY!?

We can’t get anything done with the server being down, and I can’t fathom why it’s still reading “starting recovery” for the past several days.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal?  Because I’m going to have to tell the staff to go home, and this has gotten ridiculous.  I should have just set up a pc with a nice-sized hard drive.  the DX4000 is turning out to be quite the headache.

Sounds like you are booting from the thumb drive?

If so, sounds like you have a bad download of the iso.  Use a md5 whateve hash checker to verify your download

OTH, if you are doing a recovery, why?

I am booting from a thumb drive, following the directions in the user manual.  I am doing a recovery because (1) there was a power outage over the weekend; (2) “Loading OS, please wait” ran for 24 hours after we got back and discovered the outage; (3) Technical Support told me that the Recovery option would be faster than waiting five days for the OS to load; and (4) Technical Support is clearly wrong.  I wish I never heard of Sentinel. I don’t know how to perform the md5 hash check, but since I can’t actually do any real work, I have the time to look it up.  However, is there a better way?  We can’t keep going like this. I am ready to do violence to this server.

Send one of the folks not doing anything to get a smart ups while they are not doing anything :slight_smile:

Has is easy to google.

Of course I have to ask did you have a backup of your data?

I have only recovered an entire server.  Start over.  But I think there may be an option to leave the data alone.  But if you have to do the middle step, recreate my storage it will erase your data.  So hopefully you can only do the third stepm recover.

I am headed out on the road for about 5 hours now, so my reply(s) will be delayed :frowning:

We have a UPS; it is connected to the server.  We lost power because some sloping forehead on a fiberoptic cable crew cut through a power line.  Starting over will erase the latest data, but I’m more concerned that we bought a **bleep** device that’s going to sit here and gather dust unless I do something useful, like smash it to pieces with a baseball bat.

I sad a SMART UPS lol

It would shut the server down before the battery died.

How did the hash check?

Chrome is better to DL the ISO than IE

arghsentinal wrote:

I am booting from a thumb drive, following the directions in the user manual.  I am doing a recovery because (1) there was a power outage over the weekend; (2) “Loading OS, please wait” ran for 24 hours after we got back and discovered the outage; (3) Technical Support told me that the Recovery option would be faster than waiting five days for the OS to load; and (4) Technical Support is clearly wrong.  I wish I never heard of Sentinel. I don’t know how to perform the md5 hash check, but since I can’t actually do any real work, I have the time to look it up.  However, is there a better way?  We can’t keep going like this. I am ready to do violence to this server.

You must realize it takes a long time for windows to do a disk check on such big drives. Using the recovery option will not be faster as it STILL must do a disk check. Whaterver you do TERABYTES take TIME…