Start SMART tests - query results -- hdd via usb

Several WD SATA 3.0 hdd’s of the black series were purchased to be used as backup storage.

They connect to stations whose data are to be backed up via USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 to USB 3.0 adapter cable.

Among all few stations these hdd are used on the USB is the only possibility to get the hdd connected

with the station. To be used as internal drive connected via SATA directly to mainboard not possible.

Stations are: os x, or Windows Vista, or Linux based NAS.

Because the use case is the data backup it is essential to periodically check the hdd condition health.

How to run the SMART tests and query the results in environment as described above?

Some of those stations can attach eSATA. If to connect used hdd via SATA to eSATA adapter cable

will it make the goal achievement easier ?

You can check your drive’s health S.M.A.R.T. status by using Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on Windows-based systems:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/

For other operating systems you may need dedicated third party applications.

Hi, yeah, I am aware of the fact the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic can generally do it.

But the question is will it also work if the SATA internal hdd is attached to system through SATA-USB 3.0 adapter cable?

Will the chance for success be better if to connect that hdd using eSATA-SATA cable?

Smartmontools (smartctl) can in most cases see HDDs behind a RAID controller or USB bridge. It is a Linux tool but has a Windows GUI, GSmartControl.

Thanks for all information.

It is a Linux tool with Windows GUI…

Does it also have a Linux GUI, or is the underlying Linux tool widely available in the Linux world/community?

I am asking this question because the preference is OS X and Linux, these are machines where I have the

best access to. All Windows machines mentioned previously are user machines - not so good for maintainance tasks.

How about SMART via Thunderbolt?

Will taking a Thunderbolt docking station help?

Sorry, my post was ambiguous.

Smartctl is actually a Linux tool with a Linux CLI.

AIUI, GSmartControl is a Windows version of the same tool, with a Windows GUI.

In the meantime I checked the mentioned Linux stations. These are embeddded Linux based NAS stations. So busybox, smartctl not by default on-board. I see it wont be straight forward to use them for SMART tests and queries.

How about SMART via Thunderbolt?

One could connect these SATA III 2.5 inch drives to Mac via Thunderbolt docking station or SATA III to Thunderbolt adapter cable. However, does SATA via Thunderbolt support SMART interface?

One saw in web information that SMART via USB is not straightforward as well. It is not obvious all usb sata brigdes make  SMAT possible. So there are usb external devices for them SMART is not possible.

I guess one made in the past a try to do SMART on usb external drive using WDC tool.

The results were the WDC tool did not recognize any present WDC drive in the system and completed own operation.

For your convinience the aimed goal summarized below.

2.5 inch WDC hdd SATA III drives can connect to the stations in possession only as external device.

No internal built-in by attaching to motherboard is possible.

Available stations, with preferencing as shown, are: Embedded Linux based on busybox and USB 3.0 and eSATA ports,

iMacs with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports, Windows earlier than 7 with USB 2.0 and eSATA ports, Windows 7 as vitual machine on mentioned iMac hosts.

Goal is to periodically check the SMART data and carry out SMART tests.