SSH Login since Firmware Version 2.31.193 not possible anymore

Dear all,

I am using a MyCloud Mirror Rev. 2, and since Firmware Version 2.31.193, a login via SSH is not possible anymore. Also, version 2.31.195 (the latest) is defective. Only a downgrade to version 2.31.183 did make SSH working again.

Please correct this issue.

Dear all,

I confirm this issue. Using a WD MyCloud Gen 2, access through SSH is denied. I made absolutely sure that the IP address matches and even updating the password through the web interface (which is accessible) does not grant access.

Update:
After a brief search through these forums, the following solution helped me:

It appears that instead of using ‘root’, using ‘sshd’ as username works.

3 Likes

Thanks, that works. Would be good to document that in the firmware notes :slight_smile: - at least I did only see something that they changed something for ssh, but not this detail.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks, I noticed right away, that they changed/added the line

AllowUsers sshd

to the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file. I tried to change that to root, but restarting the sshd resets the file :frowning:
So we have to workaround here.

It appears that the user has been changed indeed also the available commands that are allowed are restricted

I only used it to run nzbget , but found a way to install it using the webinterface so i dont need it anymore

I am somewhat bothered that there was no communication regarding these changes to my device !!

Then a problem arises, how to add multiple users (besides the admin), so they can access remotely via ssh with their own username and password.

I edited the file ‘sshd_config’:
Port 22
Protocol 2
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
AllowUsers sshd,akousmatikoi,pato
PermitRootLogin yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
TCPKeepAlive yes
PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-dss
HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-dss
Ciphers +blowfish-cbc
MaxAuthTries 5

Adding new usernames, for example: akousmatikoi
But doing: ssh akousmatikoi@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dont allow me to login.