Spinning wheel... and it's not blood, sweat and tears ;-)

REALLY!! it gets too hot!!  I have left my WD TV Live on for several days with no issues.   I wonder if your unit is getting enough air circulation w/o the fan an if you have it in lying the correct position and NOT standing on the end.

Hello everyone,

I had the same problem as everyone above, (spinning wheel won’t go away) So I attached the drive to my computer and all the files are fine. I have a WD 1.5 tb external USB drive. I ran a disk check with the WD diagnostic software, (which took almost 24 hours btw) and it passed. I hook the drive back up to my WD Live and now it doesn’t even pick up the drive. No USB light flashes and it never shows local drive. I attach it back to my computer and everything is fine. Unplugged the WD for 20 minutes, reset with the hole by the USB on the side, reattached the drive, still nothing. I attached a flash drive and the WD recognizes that. So it is obviously something with the WD not recognizing my WD hard drive. Keep in mind it was working fine for a few weeks, I was watching a video and when I changed to another it hung up on the wheel. But before that it was working great. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for you time, Joe

I assume you already tried erasing the small WD file/folder on the root of that drive, correct?

If so – it’s likely to be one or more files that are causing the issue and the only way you can resolve that is to either delete half (the old binary search routine) each at a time until you find the one (or more) or delete them all and add half back in.  However, if it WAS working fine for you at once point you might start by deleting all the files in the last month or so and see if that fixes things (but do try deleting the catalog file on that drive first).

Hi Mike, I was afraid of that. I did delete the catologe file. It took me days to copy 1tb of files on the hard drive. I could throw this WD Live out the window right now I am so aggravated. The whole idea was to save the time of looking for DVD’s and having them laying all over the house, but I have invested so much time into this thing it hardly seems worth it. ugghhh.

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate the quick responce. Cheers, Joe

I want to add that the WD Live does not pick up on the drive at all. No flashing USB light on front and it does not copy the catalogue folder onto the drive. It’s like it is not there at all.

Well, you can still try deleting the most recent files (particularly the one you were watching and any after that or a week or two before that).  And when you attach the drive to the Live does the WD folder/file get rebuilt?  IOW, after you’ve deleted it and then attach it again do you see the file again when you take the drive back to your PC?

If you do, then it’s good – even though you don’t see any lights the Live is obviously accessing the drive however quickly.  If you don’t, then I don’t think deleting files will do any good.

Of course, the possibility is that your Live isn’t any good anymore – I assume you tried both USB ports – but the fact that a flash drive works with it is perplexing.

No the WD Live does not rebuild the folder. It doesn’t add anything to the drive. I tried both USB ports with the flash and hd and the same results. I even played the files I was playing when it failed on my computer and they work fine. I deleted a bunch off the hd, but that didn’t do anything yet. I have a bad feeling I know what I am going to have to do, and I am not looking forward to it. ANother 24 hours of my life I will never get back:-) Thanks Mike.

I haven’t tried a different hd yet. I’ll let you know how that goes.

FYI, I attached another drive and it worked fine. I spent the last day copying all the data from my drive over to another external hd and all of the data copied over with no problems. I am back today to get the format utility from the WD site so I can format the drive.

Joesnake wrote:

FYI, I attached another drive and it worked fine. I spent the last day copying all the data from my drive over to another external hd and all of the data copied over with no problems. I am back today to get the format utility from the WD site so I can format the drive.

It may be the way that WD formats the disc that is the problem!

well, that’s another topic all together. Now I can’t figure out how to fix this partition because I can’t restart the computer with the external drive plugged in. I spent extra cash so I can have a WD drive because I assumed that would be the most stable siuation. ugh

It’s possible that you have an advanced format external drive, it which case if it got reformatted on XP, it will work dismally slow. 

It’s a WD Elements Desktop 1.5 TB. I can’t set the partition, so I can’t format it. Partition magic says the partition is bad.

Joesnake wrote:

well, that’s another topic all together. Now I can’t figure out how to fix this partition because I can’t restart the computer with the external drive plugged in. I spent extra cash so I can have a WD drive because I assumed that would be the most stable siuation. ugh

What do you mean you can’t start the computer. What happens if you plug in the disc after you started the computer.

I apparently had to turn off Legacy in my bios and it worked fine. I am old school and was trying to use fdisk. I eventually remembered disk management and deleted the partition. I then used Partition Magic to set the partition and format the drive. I spent all afternoon and evening copying stuff back to the drive and everything seems to be working normally now. Thank you and everyone else for your help.