Spinning Arrow of Death

I found this on another thread…It describes the problem I’m having with my WDTV Live. However, I have an Apple Airport Extreme. How might I fix this?

Spinning Arrow of Death - Possible Solution[ Edited ]

Options

‎04-22-2013 11:06 PM - edited ‎04-22-2013 11:25 PM

Spinning Arrow of Death -WDTV Live can’t play any files except after reboot. After a while, fails again.

I had this issue as has been described in various ways in various threads. I tried everything, even got my WDTV Live SMP replaced under waranty. (didn’t help).

Some users reported it happened only when screen saver was enabled. (not in my case)

Some users resolved it by changing thier network setup (router, switch, etc) but for most of us the issue has persisted.

I think Siskin has discovered the root cause in this thread…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General-Discussions/SOLVED-WDTV-Live-8-TB-NAS-freezes-after-w…

In my case it worked. If you don’t have a QNAP NAS then very likely you have something in your network (router, bit-torrent client, etc) that is sending out uPnP packets on the network. It appears to be what is causing the WDTV to go into the fault condition.

I tried posting this in the various many threads that are variants of this issue, but they were all taken down due to “cross posting”, so I am putting the info here. A BIG thanks to Siskin for figuring it out.  :smileyvery-happy:

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this information.

Except for the top few lines the rest of the post is quoted from elsewhere.  In case it wasn’t clear,  my problem has not been solved. Someone else’s was but they have a different router.

So ignoring all the rest, is this your problem

Spinning Arrow of Death -WDTV Live can’t play any files except after reboot. After a while, fails again.

This could be down to ‘bad’ files. If the player attempts to play what it considers a bad file it will hang up and not play anything until a reboot. 

Can you play a number of files and then when you attempt to play a particular file you get the spinning icon and then you cannot play any files.

Have you also done a reset to factory defaults.

Been there done that. Its not the files. they’re fine. If you read up on the problem you’ll see that it affects even attached USB drives.

I now see your problem.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Issues/WDTV-Live-player-refuses-to-play-any-video-or-audio-files-after/idi-p/551827

You posted the original post above to the issues forum and for some reason WD decided to move here for user discussion.

richUK wrote:

The fact is that we don’t really know what YOUR problem is. The bad file problem would also occur with attached drives.

Give us some detail on Your problem.

It’s the same problem many other have reported here in these forums. If you’d read all the other posts on the subject you will see the pattern. The people who created the WDTV live and its firmware are no doubt aware that something is wrong with the product. I’m just hoping that maybe a new version of the WDTV live will come out. While the WD LIve is the only readily available device that can play a wide variety of files from one’s local network and USB drives I have found that using it is a most frustrating experience. In my opinion it’s a finicky piece of hardware that can only be said to be better than nothing, but not by much.

richUK wrote:

I now see your problem.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Issues/WDTV-Live-player-refuses-to-play-any-video-or-audio-files-after/idi-p/551827

You posted the original post above to the issues forum and for some reason WD decided to move here for user discussion.

Thank you…At least you bothered to check the forums to see that this is not an isolated problem. After seeing that many others have reported the same trouble I think it’s up to the WD engineers to fix it or at least issue an offical workaround.  Actually.I started this thread here since it seemed like the appropriate place to get help with this particular product.

Overlap in posts.