Sound dropouts with MKV

This is a minor niggle in an otherwise great product (the other being the network discovery issue!)

More often than not, when playing back a 720p or 1080p MKV file (usually DTS, but sometimes AC3 audio) the sound will dropout for about a second around 10-15 minutes into playback. It’s not a problem with the media file itself, as rewinding and playing that section again won’t have the dropout. These are all pretty “standard” MKV files ranging from 750MB to 16GB in size - all accessed via a network share (100Mbit wired).

Any ideas what it could be? I couldn’t find other posts with the exact same problem.

Thanks,

Mike

I don’t know what it could be, but I do have an idea on what to try – play your files from a local hard drive for a while (at least until you’re satisfied you don’t have any dropouts).  If no problems emerge then you know it’s something to do with the network (which I do suspect is the issue) and can concentrate on it.  If you get dropouts even from a local drive, then it’s most likely something to do with the files (and you can then concentrate on how you created them).

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks like I’m experiencing this same issue:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Wdtv-Live-audio-blanks-when-connected-to-Panasonic-Viera-plasma/td-p/56338

That’s more specific, so I’ll keep an eye on that thread.

Cheers,

Mike