Sound coming from inside new My Passport Ultra 1 TB HDD

Hi! Just got a new WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB Portable HDD. The first thing I noticed while holding the hdd in my hand was a slight sound coming from inside the drive as if something was loose and moving upon shaking. I am just worried. The drive is working fine after connecting with pc. Could someone please clarify what could be the problem or is it a problem at all? Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome to the WD Community.

It’s hard to tell.

Where did you bought the drive?

Make sure to test the unit to make sure everything is fine.

Got it from Amazon. I have registered with WD and it shows a full 3 years warranty. Although I know that WD would not give a new hdd rather a refurbished one in case of a problem. How can I test the unit? The sound I am referring to is very slight and it seems that some part inside is loose and moves when shaken. To be more precise, after plugging the usb cable with drive (still unconnected to computer), the sound doesn’t come. The drive is working fine otherwise. I am bit worried as if to replace this or continue using. Thanks for your reply.

Hey, I hope your device works fine. I purchased New 1Tb My Passport last week from Amazon and faced the same issue. I requested for a replacement and got a brand new pack delivered just today. It makes the same noise as the previous returned product. I think it’s a thing with WD. I wrote them a mail and even asked Amazon to ask them about the issue.