SOS : Invalid id-password problem with Win 7 Network Shares (after 2 years of owning WDTV)

I want to resolve this invalid password/id issue with Network shares.  I’ve had these computers for years and have been connecting the WDTV Live Boxes (I have 3) to them for over 2 years.  For the last few years invalid password and id’s have been solved by rebooting the offending pc. so I have alot of positive experiences with WDTV Live.

But last Monday I started having problems with one desktop which we will call Desktop A. I kept on restarting Desktop A and wasn’t able to get past the invalid id/password issue. On Wednesday, that problem seemed to have resolved itself with Desktop A and I was able to see its Network Shares. But I started having the problem with invalid id/password with another Desktop which I’ll call Desktop B. I restarted Desktop B a number of times but it still hasn’t resolved the new invalid id/password issues.

But now the problem has become more serious since rebooting the PC and the WDTV boxes has not helped as it used to.

Now I can not connect to Desktop B for the last 3 days using Network Shares.  As a workaround I’ve been using Plex Media Server to get my media files (flac, mp3, mkv, avi, dvd vob) from Desktop B. However, this is not the most elegant solution.

Now a little of my environment
- No Windows Live on any computer(s)
- No software firewalls at all
- 3 WDTV Live Boxes running 1.6.13 and all uniquely named

-From what I can tell no major Windows 7 upgrades in the last 9 months. 

I feel I have tried every suggested option in the forum but still see this pattern occuring. These suggestion solutions include

1. Resetting the WDTV box to factory standards
2. Setting firmware back which almost helped solve every problem with 2.01.86
3. Powering off the WDTV box with both hot and cold reboots and rebooting the ‘offending’ Windows desktop machines.

4. Clearing stored network logins in WDTV as well
5. Setting up Windows Networking Advanced Options via WDTV Live Forum options
6. Insuring that the master browser is set as per http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U926…

So when I see that the only problems with Windows Network Shares only occur with WDTV and not with any other devices such as DLNA Devices (BD Players, a Network enabled Receiver), an Ubuntu Laptop, Droid smartphones, Droid tablets, two Windows 7 desktops and two Windows 7 laptops, I have to say that its the WDTV that makes Network Shares more tricky than any other platform.

If there is a way to set up Win 7 shares without ID’s and passwords. If that would solve the problem I’m game. Frankly I’m not sure how to do that.

Even though I’ve been using Plex Media Server to see my files on Desktop B in WDTV, I still really want to be able to use Network Shares without the agita of this invalid id/password problem

Slightly Sleepless in NY trying to solve this invalid id/password problem

Sending out an SOS 

thanks

JRF

Hi, see if the link below helps. 

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-quot-Network-shares-quot-access-problems-with/m-p/671513#M27826

Ok

I found that password protected file sharing was turned on with the offending pc. I changed that and all seems to be going well.  I don’t know why that was set on because I thought I went through every PC and set Advanced Windows Network Settings to not requiring password protected file sharing. 

Still I am being required to enter an ID and Password for every PC in my network 

For example on my master browser PC called “Speedway”, I have password protected sharing turned off but I am still required to enter a password and Id the first time I connect to “Speedway”

I also tried turning on the option for anybody in the network to access shared files with “Speedway”

I am still being asked for an id and password though on this pc after clearing saved network logins from WDTV Network Setup

Try turning on “Public folder sharing”

Cheers

Did that and didn’t change a thing.  Still have to give a password and id for that box.  But I can see all the shares on that box