Sorting photos by date taken

There is no option to have photos on My Cloud sorted by the date of the photo. The Date sort option provided only sorts them by the date added to My Cloud and they are still in a random order regarding the date the photo was taken which is very frustrating. The date of the photo shows at the top when you select it so it is being stored in the meta data. There should be an option to sort by the original date of the photo for both viewing the files on a computer or in the IOS app.

I put in ticket 240224-001467 with the support team in early March but nothing ever happened with any update and it was closed. I think it would be a simple suggestion to complete and it would definitely improve the quality of the product.

Hi @brapp55
Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

I did contact technical support. I received an email reply stating Incident: 240605-001719 had been created but have had no follow up since then.

Instead of relying on others to do your sorting for you, why not use a batch renaming tool that renames your files by prefixing them with the date and time stamp in the file’s metadata? Then all you would need to do would be to sort the files by name.

That is, change …

photo_name.jpg

… to …

YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS_photo_name.jpg

I’m only asking for a normal sort within an individual folder. What were the developers thinking? That the majority would want to sort by the date uploaded rather than the date of the photo? They already have a working timeline and I’m just asking to have it available within individual folders rather than all of the files.

Sorting is a function that is inherent in the OS. It uses the file system’s metadata rather than the file-specific metadata that is buried within the file’s contents. It would not be a trivial thing for WD’s programmers to write.

All I’m saying is that, from my experience, you will be unlikely to ever get what you want. There are ways to achieve the same end, but you need to do it yourself.

Here is a way, but it involves the command line and Linux:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180220155000/http://sid.rstack.org:80/static/articles/d/i/g/Digital_photos_recovery.html

I appreciate the info on a workaround but since the loss of the desktop app I don’t even know how I can connect to my drive outside of the web app. I previously was able to see it as a drive on my Mac but no longer have that option.