Sony TV Remote controls WD Media Live

First time posting and complete newbie so please bare with me, I’ve recently purchased a Sony Bravia KD55X8505 LED 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV, I went to watch a 3D movie through my WD TV Live Media Player but when trying to use my TV remote in controls the Media Player, it’s virtually made it almost impossible to use the media player as to try and get it to work I’ve got to go as close as I can to the TV which is 3 inches past the Media Player to be able to control the TV with it affecting the Media Player and this can take several attempts as it’s on a glass stand.

Any idea’s or anyone had the same problem?

Would seriously like some help on this.

Many Thanks in advance Regards

Skavillekrew

I have a Black Gloss Glass TV Stand/Table … but i have a black translucent cloth hiding all the Lights of my equipment

Remote works fine.

When i   “Lift the cloth up”  … it’s like a Wii Game  eg. Up, to left, nope to right, oops down, no up again … Got it !  :smiley:   Managed to register the “OK” button :wink:

Reflective surfaces can “Bounce” the IR Signal around

Try some black adhesive vinyl (the stuff you covered your school books with) under the front of the WDTV  (if you don’t want to use a black cloth)

If I cover the IR sensor then I won’t be able to control the Media Player with it’s own control, has this been a reported conflict? or am I the only one? just think it’s strange that how a TV control can work the Media Player it’s doing my head in.

Skavillekrew wrote:

If I cover the IR sensor then I won’t be able to control the Media Player with it’s own control

well, my setup the IR signal passes through the black translucent cloth just fine (and because it’s covering the glass the signal doesent bounce)

another alternative, the WDTV Remote App which doesent use IR  (but you need a network and a smartphone/tablet)

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wdc.wdremote&hl=en

Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/wd-tv-remote/id488301648?mt=8

If I’m not mistaken, this sounds like HDMI CEC enabled and causing issues for you.

This is where TV remote passes through commands direct to your WDTV unit. There’s a menu option you can disable CEC.

That way you use your remotes for their specific devices only. Though it won’t be able to turn the TV on automatically when turning on the WDTV.

1 Like

useful_■■■■■ wrote:

This is where TV remote passes through commands direct to your WDTV unit. There’s a menu option you can disable CEC.

HDMI CEC by default is “OFF” 

Many thanks this seems to of fixed the problem, no more going right up to the tv to make a selection lol.

Cheers Again.