Something interesting I found in firmware 1.04.10_V

Poking around in firmware 1.04.10_V for the TV Live, I noticed that there’s a /swf directory.  In this directory are two interestingly-named files: freestream.swf and HuluTV.swf.

I’m by no means saying that there is hidden Hulu functionality in the TV Live - in fact, I am explicitly not saying this.  But I don’t recall seeing this directory in earlier firmware releases (though I’ll admit it’s been a while since I’ve looked), and the filenames certainly are interesting.

If someone motivated enough to check the 1.04.10_B firmware for the Live Plus could kindly do so, I’d be interested to hear what crops up.

With regard to Hulu, they have already announced that Hulu plus will coming shortly to the WDTV Live Plus etc.

http://www.hulu.com/plus?src=masthead#devices

It may be that the firmware now shares a common base.

casm…  It’s fun poking around the GPL code, isn’t it?   There’s all kinds of cruft in there that isn’t “Real,” but hints at things that MIGHT be coming…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

casm…  It’s fun poking around the GPL code, isn’t it?   There’s all kinds of cruft in there that isn’t “Real,” but hints at things that MIGHT be coming…

Oh, there are definitely some interesting developmental artifacts in there.  Nothing particularly earth-shattering, but amusing to run across nonetheless.

Just to clarify: I’m looking directly at the filesystem within the built firmware image (wdtvlive.bin) in this case, not the GPL’d source.

WDTVLive got “hidden” adobe flash lite support (flingo already works trought flash lite). Therefore we will get plugins support soon.

guestus wrote:

WDTVLive got “hidden” adobe flash lite support (flingo already works trought flash lite). Therefore we will get plugins support soon.

Thats been there for some while and is mentioned in the manual dated April 2010

Adobe®

This product features Adobe® Flash® technology