Some avi's wont play on wdtv live

I have a few avi files that I encoded myself a long time ago using premiere. A large amount of these files will not play on my WDTV live. Has anyone encountered an issue similar to this and have a solution for it? This is what AVIcodec lists for some of these files File : 1.71 GB (1020 MB), duration: 0:08:05, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 98 %, , Video : 931 MB, 16106 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*480 (4:3), dvsd = Sony Digital Video, Audio : 88 MB, 1536 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x1 = PCM, CBR, http://www.mainconcept.com/downloads.shtml File : 1.99 GB (1020 MB), duration: 0:09:26, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 98 %, , Video : 916 MB, 13582 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*480 (4:3), dvsd = Sony Digital Video, Supported Audio : 103 MB, 1536 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x1 = PCM, CBR, , Supported http://www.mainconcept.com/downloads.shtml

The dvsd codec is more of a specialty codec used in older NLE’s like Premier that allowed easier editing of video captured on miniDV.

The only codecs that the WDTV live supports in the avi container is specified in the specs:

AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4)

You can use various programs, freeware, opensource, etc. to convert that avi to a compatible avi.  Try AutoGK to convert to a Xvid AVI file.

i have come across a few avis (xvid/mp3 or ac3) that wdtvl wouldnt play…

they all had warppoints under Format settings, GMC when i checked the file with MediaInfo…

GMC is not supported in the DivX Home Theatre Profile, so technically it doesn’t have to be supported in the media player.

I’d suspect it was omitted from the profile to lower the processing overhead of media players when the standard was first written.  I’d be surprised that the wdtv box can’t actually handle it though, it should have enough horsepower to handle it.

Maybe it would be nice for WD to state which profiles are supported?

well all i know is if theres warppoints, it doesnt play. :smiley:

to elaborate…audio works but the video is buggered when theres warppoints.

anyway i dont have many avis and most play perfectly.

WD should support the GMC warpoints , is there a problem not to ?

yes I have had some of the same problems with alot of AVI’s i have

I’m converting them with the software that came with the WD TV ill get back to you on how well that works.

The funny thing is ive had the WD TV for 3 days and the first day it worked fine the second some problems with some of the files the 3rd day none would play these are the same files i played day 1???

Exactly the same issue.

Progressive shutdown of AVI and ISO file replay, with NO response from WD.

I want nothing to do with this thing or this company, it’s going back!

I got the same problem, avi just won´t play(format not supported) anybody knows what´s up?

If fw is up to date and the .avi file uses one of the codecs listed on page 158 of the user guide and doesn’t play, then I would take it back or make a warranty claim.