[Solved] WD Black SN750 disappearing from Windows or BIOS/UEFI after sleep or restart

Yesterday I installed a new Western Digital Black SN750 1 TB NVMe SSD. The first time I turned on the computer, everything behaved as it should; I initialized and allocated the disk in Disk Management, and the benchmarks in CrystalDiskMark were in the expected range.

Upon either waking my computer from sleep, or after a restart (via Start > Restart), the drive is no longer listed by Disk Management (or Explorer, or anything in Windows). If I hop into BIOS/UEFI right after one of those restarts, the disk does not even show up in BIOS/UEFI.

If I shutdown completely (Start > Shut Down), wait a few seconds, and then turn the computer back on, the disk reappears. Everything appears to function normally. Until I put it to sleep or restart, at which point the drive disappears again.

I receive no error messages, but looking through Event Viewer, I notice this entry that appears what seems to be after waking or restart:

"Error: Event 11, stornnvme
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2"

Other Notes:
------------

1. The SATA Mode in UEFI is set to AHCI, not RAID
  2. The NVMe’s firmware is up-to-date
  3. There are no conflicts with drive letter
  4. I can find no listing anywhere for NVMe drivers from Western Digital
  5. Hibernate is disabled
  6. The drive temperatures are normal

System Hardware:
------------------
New Drive: Western Digital Black SN750 1 TB (Port: M2_1 slot)
Boot Drive (Drive 1): Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB (Port: SATA 1)
Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda HDD 2 TB (Port: SATA 2)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: Ryzen 1600X (At stock settings)
RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 MHz (at 2933 MHz)

I am posting to provide an update, as I believe the issue has been solved (and don’t want to leave an orphan thread dangling):

What seems to have worked is to update the motherboard’s BIOS to the latest version (and updated the chipset, too, but I don’t think that made the difference). I’d held off updating the BIOS because in the latest version(s) had to downgrade some UEFI functionality due to space limitations (16 GB), to make room for supporting 3XXX Ryzen chips (while I still am on a 1XXX chip).

It’s been working for a week now, so I’m calling this solved.

2 Likes

i am having a similar issue. a few days ago i removed some raid entries in the registry because i do not use a raid set up, i restarted my pc. then i was stuck in a bsod loop with the error 'inaccessible boot device" message immediately after my bios screen . i wasnt able to do any sort of recovery options as it kept asking for my windows password then telling me it was incorrect. i know my own ■■■■ password ok. i even tried all my previous passwords to know avail. no start up repair, no system restore, no command prompt ,NOTHING! not even reset this pc would work!
i couldnt get on with safe mode. i tried using an esd to repair and all of the same issues would stop me.

but then, just before giving up and using the esd to completely reinstall my os, i reboted, went into the bios, boot overide, this time instead of the boot manager on the drive, which was showing in the bios the whole time, i once again booted the esd i created from the media creation tool months and months ago, i save and exited. at the screen where you chose 32bit or 64bit, i saw advanced start up options. i clicked safe mode. it started the esd installer in safe mode.
i said eh what the hell, clicked repair this computer again to get into the restore options. tried system restore, and what do know, IT WORKED. so i was able to restore, thank goodness i had it enabled and had a point to restore from

Upon looking at the properties of the drive in windows, i see it showing up as a scsi. i dont even know what when or why. i wouldnt have paid that any attention except ive been trying to use wd dashboard and the drive is barely showing on there. model and firmware show, wd_black sn770 nvme ssd and 7310. everything else says unknown or not available. in the tools tab i try to use trim, where it tells me i cant use trim on an scsi drive. but in disk optimization and management via windows, im able to use trim. WTH?

ok although ive tried to update dashboard just as the ssd firmware via the app multiple times where it would tell me i had the latest version, i was able to update dashboard via the offline installer.
now the drive is not detected at all. hmm…