Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.4 for Windows (10/10/12)

I uploaded 1.6.4 on my 64bit Windows 7 machine, and it crashed my computer.  WD’s Concierge told me to uninstall the update and go back to the version I had in Aug. 2012.  My machine still came up with a Blue Screen Error notice that I couldn’t get rid of.   Currently I totally uninstalled  all the WD software for the My Book Live device from my desktop,  My stored files are still available through the network, but I’d sure like to know what are safe versions of the WD software/firmware that  I can use. I guess I’m stuck with the updated firmware 2.32,05-046 for the present.

Adventurer wrote:

I am having an issue with V1.6.4 finding a formatted partition ever since I updated. The SmartWare sees the drive, but does not see a formatted partition. I first tried deinstalling and reinstalling V1.6.4 and that didn’t help.  I had to roll back to V1.4.2.5 which was on the original disk that came with the drive. This fixed the problem but I’m now back on an older version.

I spoke to tech support today and  they told me that not many people are having this problem. Not sure if they are even working on a fix for this issue at this point and the tech couldn’t send me over to tier two for a status.

Does anyone else have this issue of the new version not finding a formatted partition?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

I am having the same problem. I called technical support and they suggested I replace my unit, but I do not think the problem is the unit, but rather the update to WD SmartWare 1.6.4 on Windows 7 (64-bit). The issue is exactly the same on my two computers. If I remove their software and reinstall using the ISO for version 1.5.1.6, it works until I update it to 1.6.4. Does anyone know where I can find the update to the version prior 1.6.4–I assume 1.6.3?

Just upgraded my Win7 64 bit computer to 1.6.4 and I can no longer launch the Smarware application.  It shows up in my processes as if it’s running, but no interface comes up for me to know what’s going on with the device.

Based on this and all the other responses, epic failure on Western Digital’s part.

I´m facing the same issue. More than 100 gb weren´t backed up.

Tottally disapointing!

I share your post. I´m facing the same issue.

It´s ridiculous - have you downgraded your SmartWare version?

great post.

I´m going to do the same!

I have two 3TB NAS drives and updated to V1.6.4 and now the two drives never shut off. Both drives show “No writable WD SmartWare partition found” in the SmartWare interface. I no longer have access to the “Backup” or Retrieve" tabs in the Smartware interface. I can access both drives and the data from Windows Explorer. Deleted the v1.6.4 Smartware from my computer and re-installed the original Smartware from the CD Disk, but the same problem now with the older Smartware. There has been discussion about re-formatting the NAS drives. Do you really think both became corrupted at the same time - or is it more software problems?? Wish I had never did the SmartWare update!! Please WD - please get it right!

Same problem here, this is on a brand new passport drive too.  Anyone have any ideas how to fix it.

I noticed that when I installed Smartware from the Drive I selected the 64bit version as I’m running Win7 x64.  However when it too me to the update page, there was only one file to download.  I’m assuming it was a dual x32/x64 bit version.

To paraphrase Joseph Conrad, who wrote about the Sea, or Robert Heinlein who wrote about the Moon, “Windows, she can be a Harsh Mistress”. And, in fact, I’m getting pretty tired of fighting with her! She can become extremely temperamental when something goes wrong.

I thought that maybe my Blue Screen Error message could have occurred as a result of the following:

Upon installing the WD software, the networked drive was mapped as “Z” in my computer, and showed up in the “Computer” window as a mapped drive, as well as being shown as the networked drive “MYBOOKLIVE” on the left panel in the Computer window of the Windows Control Panel.

When I uninstalled all the WD software, the mapped “Z” remained active, but in reality could not be accessed by Windows. Thus Windows reported an error. Now, this is conjecture on my part and cannot be corroborated. I don’t know enough about the inner workings of Windows to really confirm this. Maybe some of the other users of this forum can weigh in on the subject.

I’m still having problems upon reboot, and receiving the blue screen. Using msconfig, I don’t see anything in the list of Startups that would cause this problem. I’m wondering if it is time to reload Windows???

Does anyone know the effect of either RST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology Service), or IAStorIcon on MYBOOK LIVE? Are these services required, or integrated into the WD software? Can these be causing trouble with my OS, 64 bit  Windows 7 Home Premium.

When I go to the update link http://wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?id=wdfGeneric&os=win

there is nothing on the page that is clickable for a download.  Is the page broken?

There is a download button towards the bottom of the page.

Seems to have  taken ages to fix this how the password bug was not spotted before release is beyond belief this followed the equally ludicrous DNS bug?

Anyway it doesn’t download saying my version is up to date 1.5.4.5 using that rediculous updater software while the so called smartware can see there is a new version.

Now loking at these threads  it is apparent the latest version has not been tested properly.

Together with the hardware issues I’ve had it does seem WD have been  totally happless in branching out to networking and software and should really stick core business and give people a break

I upgraded to the new version. Now I get a message on my screen…No writeable WD Smartware Partition found…

What gives…All was working fine before the upgrade.

Please advise how I can fix. I hope I don’t have to start over again.

I have Smartware on two computers and updated one computer to v1.6.4. When I run Smartware on the updated computer I get this message: “No writable WD SmartWare partition found” in the SmartWare interface. I also no longer have access to the “Backup” or Retrieve" tabs in the Smartware interface. The 3TB hard drive also runs non-stop.

The second computer has Smartware v1.5.1.6 and I have full access using Smartware with no problems. It would seem that this problem is with the update v.1.6.4. I have searched the net for Smartware v.1.5.1.6 and can only find a Smartware Updater that will force a v1.6.4 update. Is there somewhere to get v.1.5.1.6 or a new version but not v.1.6.4?

Well, I found out today that my 1TB hard drive in my three-year-old desktop went bad (uncorrectable sector errors). It’s a Western Digital!   Gee! The hard drive in my Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop is still going strong after 19 years of use!

Any relationship between my bad hard drive and Western Digital MYBOOKLIVE software updates, I believe,must be purely coincidental- but it’s just plain weird to have this happen simultaneously!

Being able to store terabytes of data sounds great, but if the drives are unreliable, that can make for a very scarey situation! Happy Halloween!

I know… backup, backup, backup! Which is exactly what I was trying to do with the MYBOOKLIVE drive.

Now I have to think about how I’m going to transfer everything, data and programs, onto my new “Seagate” 1TB hard drive replacement in my desktop. That should be a trip!

If you want i have version 1.6.2.5  i can send it you.

Another piece of defective stuff delivered by these clueless guys. As soon as I got WD Smart?ware updated to 1.6.4 it turned unable to detect at all the MyBookLive unit.

I have had nothing but problems with every update since I bought this wretched drive. Last time I asked for support since .pst files did not get backed up at all, they ended the discussion feeling re-e-e-eally sorry and advising that maybe I should get me a different backup software. Meaningful.

Come on, dear community members. Have a look at the threads each time WD releases an update for WD Smartware. You know these people can’t write software. Every time they try to fix a bug they mess up something else. I can figure out the company is on dire trouble and talent has fleed. Don’t waste your time writing any more posts, get rid of these lousy WD products and don’t ever make the mistake to purchase again from them.

I believe that Western Digital provides a free version of Acronis Backup Software at: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Also, if you are running Windows 7 Ultimate, I believe there is an option to backup to a networked drive, like MYBOOK LIVE,  using Windows provided software.  I don’t think that Windows 7 Home Premium offers this option.  Perhaps someone can confirm this.

Thanks in advance

FedupowithWD wrote:

Another piece of defective stuff delivered by these clueless guys. As soon as I got WD Smart?ware updated to 1.6.4 it turned unable to detect at all the MyBookLive unit.

I have had nothing but problems with every update since I bought this wretched drive. Last time I asked for support since .pst files did not get backed up at all, they ended the discussion feeling re-e-e-eally sorry and advising that maybe I should get me a different backup software. Meaningful.

Come on, dear community members. Have a look at the threads each time WD releases an update for WD Smartware. You know these people can’t write software. Every time they try to fix a bug they mess up something else. I can figure out the company is on dire trouble and talent has fleed. Don’t waste your time writing any more posts, get rid of these lousy WD products and don’t ever make the mistake to purchase again from them.

Are you not able to access the MBL’s UI, or is SmartWare just not able to locate the drive?