Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows (5/9/12)

A few further thoughts.

From looking at Windows Explorer my main PST file has now been backed up twice more.  I don’t know why it works some times but it takes a very long time ie hours with Outlook closed whereas it was minutes on SW 1.5.4.5.  I’ve tried disabling the anti virus and firewall but these don’t seem to make any difference.

SmartWare 1.5.4.5 started backing up files the moment the computer was switched on.  I presume this was the activity performed by WDFME.exe, with all the resource hogging problems.

It appears that with SW 1.6 the backing up is not commenced until SmartWare has been opened, eg from Quick View.  This is an important difference – the process is hardly automatic and continuous if you have to switch it on.

[EDIT 17 MAY 2012.  This morning WDBackupEngine.exe and WDRulesEngine.exe started when the computer was switched on, and did the same after a restart, so this may have been resolved.]

If I leave SmartWare open it seems to wait until it has completed the Categorisation phase and moved to Welcome before it starts any backing up. This may take some time – tens of minutes or more (I wonder if it’s stalled over the PST files).  However, if I exit SmartWare before Categorisation is complete it backs up the non-PST files immediately.

From checking Task Manager it appears that WDDMStatus.exe and WDDriveService.exe start when the computer is switched on but WDBackupEngine.exe, WDSmartWare.exe and WDRulesEngine.exe only start when the SmartWare is turned on.  Selecting Exit SmartWare closes WDSmartWare.exe, but leaves the other processes running so that backup will continue. WDSmartWare.exe is the main resource user for me during Categorisation (perhaps those PST files again), although it does allow other processes to run, but falls back to a low level when Categorisation has finished.  WDBackupEngine.exe drops back to 00 CPU and modest RAM when it has finished backing up.

On what might be a trivial point, has anyone else noticed that the names are missing from the Backup etc tabs from time to time?

I am not sure what you mean by Names in the Backup tab.

I only see the the drive I am backing up on the left side (my D drive) and the Passport drive on the right side.

Both sides show the Categories only.  If you click on the little arrow in the middle of the screen the the Advanced window opens up and allows you to check or unchecked Categories.

I still want to find out if this update still does File/Folder backups as the previous software did.

Western Digital…Can this software do File/Folder backups? If so how?

For me it is no sense to try Smartware until it will be repaired. Now I am trying Genie Timline. I will write if the results will be good.

Hi dcline,

If you open SmartWare from Quick View there should be five tabs labelled Home, Backup, Retrieve, Settings, and Help.  Sometimes I have found that some or all of these tabs are blank, ie they have no names displayed.

You will see from my post that I only have 5 services running including WDBackupEngine.exe which you don’t appear to have but excluding WDDMService.exe and WDSmartWareBackgroundService.exe.  I’m running XP and I presume you are running something else.

My Help tab says version 1.6.0.  My Settings tab says version 1.6.0 until I click the Passport icon to remove the greying from the Backup and Retrieve tabs.  It then says nothing about version number.

My Backup tab has a ‘switch to file backup’ button but I haven’t tried to use it.

Hello Watchful,

I am running XP SP3.   I have never seen a 5th tab called HELP.  I have a small blue box with the letter “i” in it on the far right.  If I click on it I get a screen that opens and says Help. There is an About button and when clicked it says WD SmartWare version 1.2.0.8.   I am amazed at the differences in screens between similar systems and we have no documentation to tell us anything.

I have just powered up my pc today and have not connected my Passport Essentials USB drive yet. My CPU is being consumed (90%) by WDSmartWare.exe.   When I look at Task manager I now have the previous 6 processes running I mentioned and the WDBackupEngine.exe is there now. Total of 7 processes. But only the WDSmartWare is consuming the CPU. I will wait a little while to see if SmartWare settles down before connecting my Passport Essentials drive.  Last time I tried to hook it up the SmartWare sw did not see it.

I used to have a “switch to file backup” as well.  Now it is gone.

I’ve given up now.

Version 1.6.0 seemed to work OK with one user on my Windows 7 64 bit system.

However, once I logged out and logged in with a different user (both admin ids) the backup software ran at 50% constantly even after stopping the backup - after it had completed backing up.

I have uninstalled SmartWare and will use Retrospect instead.

Good luck everyone.

Hello dcline,

There is some documentation at http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705054.pdf but it is out of date (Feb 2011).  The screenshot at Figure 7 sounds like the one you describe.  Mine has a fifth tab for Help as well as the small ‘i’ button.

It sounds as if your update to 1.6 has not taken place correctly.  ‘Update’ is a misleading word because it does not require any previous version and it is better to uninstall earlier versions completely before you start – see my post on page 1 of this string for what I did, and even then it still has faults.

I find WDSmartWare.exe uses a lot of resources when ‘categorising’ but, unlike WDFME, does allow other services to run.  I’ve found that if the overall SmartWare package is working correctly I can ‘Exit SmartWare’ (which closes WDSmartWare.exe) and leave the backup running in the background which saves resources.

dcline wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by Names in the Backup tab.

I only see the the drive I am backing up on the left side (my D drive) and the Passport drive on the right side.

Both sides show the Categories only.  If you click on the little arrow in the middle of the screen the the Advanced window opens up and allows you to check or unchecked Categories.

I still want to find out if this update still does File/Folder backups as the previous software did.

Western Digital…Can this software do File/Folder backups? If so how?

Dude easy with the caps…

You are not running the latest version of Smartware and yes that version does allow for file/folder backup

If you want WD support you can contact them directly on their web

Sorry for the large yellow words,but this software deserves it.

When I see the problems that others are having and the problems that I am having - you sometimes have to vent your anger.

I had the ability to do File/Folder backup before the 1.6.0 upgrade.  Then it disappeared.  Then it would not even see my Passport Essential drive. And you tell me I am not on the latest SmartWare…!

An “Upgrade” should not do that. 

This is “Retrograde” software.

And I do not like being a beta tester for their non-primetime software.

I have uninstalled it.

Thank you.

Not to rub salt into a wound, but I have done the same things you have and have also been terribly disapointed in the help received from the ‘techs’ who should know about these things and have either solutions, or at the very least an explanation as to why things aren’t working and perhaps telling us that they know about these problems we are all complaining about and are working on solutions so we know help is on the way.

Lucky_Phil…

Will you please let us know how Retrospect works with the WD external drive? I would appreciate knowing there is an alternative that will work with WD drives.

Thanks!

Western Digital, are you ever going to get this software right? One version works. The next version causes all sorts of issues. The version after that works. Now at 1.6.0 my hard drive NEVER spins down because WDBackupEngine.exe runs constantly. My CPU stays at 20%, minimum, with endless disk activity. This was not the case until 1.6.0 and nothing else has been installed or updated on my system. There’s also nothing in the software now to control when backups run or how much CPU to dedicate to them. Each update takes more and more away from me…

I used to recommend your backup products to people but I think I’ll go back to robocopy and a batch file… with another manufacturer’s drive…

1 Like

Hi AzLady,

Retrospect backs up to any external HD.

You can make a “duplicate” - (file copy) or “backup set” (I do both on alternate days)

It does not continually monitor and backup, like SmartWare is supposed to do, but can be scheduled via its own scheduler.

I run a scheduled job each day, and it takes about 45 mins to complete (for me) about 35 GB of changed files each run.

(Running on a USB 2 port connection) 

The initial backup takes a while, (for me: 480 GB) but can be stopped and run in stages until you have all files done.

Then, the scheduled job backs up only changed files since the last run.

It is not cheap. (Around $100 US ?)

However, it is reliable, and does not make the computer grind to a halt during the backup job.

In other words, I have uninstalled SmartWare completely and now use only this other backup software package.

1 Like

Hi Lucky_Phil,

Thank you for responding with information on Retrospect. It is unbelievable in reading all the posts on the problems with SmartWare’s new version, that Western Digital isn’t doing something to fix it. I will give Retrospect a try, thanks to your recommendation. All I want is something that actually works. I am a firm believer that if something isn’t broken, don’t try to fix it. Their pervious version was working just fine for me and not hogging resources, but what do I know? I’m just a simple person who likes simple things.

Again, thanks for responding to my inquiry.

Jayne

Hi Tim,

I had the same problem with my email backing up, and nothing they ‘suggested’ worked to fix it. Was also unsure whether the new software was even backing up what it said it was backing up. Went to try and retrieve a file I deliberately created to check the backup, and it wasn’t backed up, so no retrieval was available. The new version stinks. I finally deleted it, and went back to a version that actually worked as advertised. Reading all the complaints here convinced me to stop upgrading altogether. Good Luck in getting your problem fixed.

I have installed the 1.6 update several times and it appears the update did not take and now the back up doesn’t appear to work at all.  Very Frustrating!

Hi Peter,

Finally, I received a detailed email from support that may fix the problem. Aparently, you also need to update the Firmware for the new version of the software to work properly. Here is what they said:

[Deleted] 

Adding to the general subject of version 1.6 in this thread, and in particular to the last post regarding the need to have the latest firmware version installed . . .

I HAVE the latest firmware version installed, and had it BEFORE installing SmartWare 1.6.

Installing 1.6 on top of the basic program (which I had revised up to the last revision before 1.6) – did not work.  (In contrast to previous revisions installed on top of the basic program, which DID work.)

I then uninstalled the basic program (with last revision before 1.6 incorporated in it) and attempted to run the 1.6 update – I discovered that you need the basic program to begin with (or the basic program with earlier revisions incorporated).  So I then reinstalled the basic program that came with my hardware (“My Passport” SE 3.0 1 TB portable hard drive).  (This was an earlier version then the program that had been uninstalled, as the uninstalled program had had several revision upgrades to it.)  I then, finally, ran the 1.6 update to that.  It did not work.

I checked and double checked settings.  I ran the program multiple ways.  Nothing worked.

When I say the program doesn’t work, I mean this – it does not reliably back up the files you have targeted for back up in your back up plan.  (Which earlier versions did.)

It perhaps frees up computer resources, and it for sure eliminates the problem with the “etilqs” files – but the basic function of the program DOES NOT WORK.  IT DOES NOT RELIABLY BACK UP FILES.

(I HOPE someone can prove me wrong, because if I’m missing something I’d sure like to know what it is.)

Here are examples of problems I faced multiple times . . .

I downloaded 5 files to my desktop.  I then moved them to a folder that was targeted as being ready for backup (by either creation of a new file or revision of an existing file).  The first file was back upped successfully, the second one created two back ups – one with the correct file name and the other with that same name but “.tmp” added to it.  The “.tmp” file was the larger of the two files and the correct duplicate of the original file.  The smaller file, without the “.tmp”, was the only one that could be restored using the “RETRIEVE” function in SmartWare – but that was not the correct file.  Both of those two files stayed as back upped through multiple openings and closings of SmartWare, through multiple boots of the PC.  But that wasn’t the worst problem – the remaining 3 files WEREN’T BACK UPPED AT ALL.  Again, that stayed the same through multiple openings and closing of SmartWare and multiple boots of the PC.  I had read that sometimes open programs created problems – but nothing changed even when I made sure all open programs were closed.

I have another .txt file that I have in a folder targeted for backup that I change frequently to reflect a running history of some game scores for a game I play online.  When playing that game, and revising the text in that file to reflect new scores, SmartWare 1.6 did NOT reliably back up the changed files.  It left the file in backup with earlier data.  Even – again – after ensuring that other programs were closed, and after multiple opening and closings of SmartWare and after multiple boots of the PC.

I noticed one quirk besides this basically unacceptable functioning – the bar at the top of the “BACKUP” tab, with diagonal lines moving, and with the message “Copying files” – DOES NOT STOP.  EVEN WHEN CLICKING ON “STOP BACKUP”.  (That observation may or may not be relevant to someone who may be able to get to the bottom of things.)  

I urge all readers of this thread to make SURE they check their backup location on their hardware to see if ALL files that SHOULD be being back upped ARE being back upped.  I’m running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 on a Dell XPS 8300 machine with updates current.  I consider myself pretty literate and logical both generally and also with respect to PC matters.  I can’t believe that many others aren’t facing what I’ve seen – 1.6 just doesn’t work, it just does NOT backup what it should be backing up reliably.  (In contrast to previous revisions.)

I have uninstalled SmartWare yet again.  I then reinstalled the basic original program.  I then ran the 1.5.4.5 version update for it to update it (that was the last revision before 1.6).  AND EVERYTHING NOW WORKS BEAUTIFULLY AGAIN.  (I suggest that you should keep installation files for all previous revisions of your programs.)

I turned off the automatic updating in SmartWare so I would not be inundated with upgrade messages for 1.6.  I will manually check online for the next version available above 1.6, and then download and install it and hope that it rectifies the apparently obvious problems with 1.6.

I hope two things can be accomplished by my lengthy post here.  One, for all SmartWare users – double check how 1.6 is doing for you, and see if you don’t also have the basic problem I found that it just does NOT back up files reliably.  Two, for Western Digital folks – I hope you can see where I’m imagining a problem that really isn’t there (and I’ll learn something) or, as I suspect is relevant, see that 1.6 JUST DOESN’T WORK, and that you need to get out a new version that DOES!

(Because up until now I’ve really ENJOYED SmartWare.  This is the FIRST program or program revision I’ve ever come across that just doesn’t work in terms of it’s core purpose.)   

1 Like

WD SmartWare 1.6 is not backing up my .pst (Outlook and Archived) files.  The version that came with my Passport Essential did back those files up.   I have “volume shadow copy” set at automatic  I have no memeo in my services file and have reinstalled 1.6 twice.

Any suggestions.  

Hello PStopkat,

I’m still awaiting answers from WD on a few PST matters but these points may help you:

According to WD, PST files are only backed up once every 24 hours see http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7072.  I haven’t been able to find out when the 24 hours starts or finishes.  It seems to be generally true but on one occasion I’ve had a file backed up twice in 6 minutes and once more within 24 hours when I’ve checked in Windows Explorer.

In general the PST file only seems to be backed up when Outlook is closed, although again I’ve had apparent exceptions.

Do you get a message on the Backup Tab in SmartWare to say that the file has not been backed up because ‘File pending backup’?  If so it could be because Outlook is open and it cannot be backed up, and/or it has been backed up already in the last 24 hours.  It’s worth checking with Windows Explorer to see whether your PST files have in fact been backed up – they’ll be on your WD drive in a folder WD SmartWare.swstor.

I’ve also noticed that WDBackupEngine.exe does not always start automatically when I open my computer, so I have to open it manually or start SmartWare.

Finally I think that file size may be an issue on frequency of backup, but I haven’t had an answer on that.  And a large PST file will inevitably not be backed up instantaneously.

Hope this helps to home in on the problem.