Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.5.4.5 for Windows (3/20/12)

Hey @Watchful!

Awesome, thanks! How on earth, I mean, really, how on earth did you figure that out?!

I am still quite suprised (or should I be) that the great Western Digital left a bug like this

in their major updates for almost a month now! How on earth can they afford that? Haven’t

we been in a large recession???!

PS - What software are people using that does good incrementals? I don’t mind paying for

a client software to backup to my Passport, on principle it is wrong but I would gladly spend

the money to close the gap in a hurry.

@Watchful, thanks again, I had removed all, downgraded to the original version and then it wasn’t working

so well (history of backups were not visible!) and was wondering where to go, thanks much!

Hi @rkatz0,

Thanks for your comments but I can’t claim the credit for spotting the solution to this, although we all benefit from sharing information.

If you look through the main topics you’ll find several suggestions on alternative software but I haven’t tried them myself.

Good Luck!

Oh Dear,

My “My Book” is less than 48 hours old. First backup (SmartWare 1.4.5.2) OK

Updated Firmware - OK.

Tried to update SmartWare - to 1.5.4.8. Mistake. Failed.

Interestingly, every time I try to run the .msi I get an error 1603. But checking the version number recorded in Windows Error Viewer shows a vs. # increase. So I’m going to keep trying. (I have reported to Support by email anyway!)

To achieve these upticks in the the vs. # I have had to disable all WD Services and Processes - and disconnect the External drive.

Windows continues to show plenty of errors and “information” in the Event Viewer Log of course.

Meanwhile the Drive is unusable. Smartware reports far less is on the drive than I can see from Explorer. Backup & Retrieve are grayed out and there is now a drop down box replacing the two drive representations. No way to click and select the My Book to bring the Backup and Retrieve tabs to life.

No problems with CPU so far - Could that be because the Software is not working? :slight_smile:

As someone reported earlier in this thread - a clear case of misrepresentaion. As for fitness for purpose ???

I will watch this thread and report any progress - even if I give up and switch to anothe backup program!

Good luck all!

Interesting!

Gave up.

Uninstalled the update(?) stuff. Using Revo - which was a good idea as I could delete the >3000 Registry entries left behind by the WD uninstaller!

Re-Installed vs. 1.4.5.2. Now I can see what’s on the My Book and the Backup and Retrieve tabs are re-enabled.

Now let’s see how we get on.

Watch this space …

I joined this forum last Sunday night and have made only a few posts concerning how bad the Smartware was and that my CPU was running at 100% and all of the RAM was being used. Yesterday afternoon out of the clear blue I received an unsolicited call from a level 2 tech support person at WD while I was standing on a line in my neighborhood post office. WD had read my posts and he called to correct the issue. I requested that he call me at home later in the evening as the issue was with my home computer. He called as promised and I allowed him access to my computer. He corrected the issue and now everything is back to normal. I am backing up like it should be able to do, not using any RAM to speak of and the CPU usage is under 5%.

If you registered for this forum I hope that you included a contact phone number as they reached out to me without receiving a single call from me first.

rkatz0

I use Retrospect 7.7

I run a “duplicate” job and an incremental backup on alternate days via its scheduler.

Quite expensive (Around $119) but does a pretty good job.

same problem.  Cannot install the update. Same error message.

I’m running WD SmartWare Version 1.5.4.5 and it steadily consumes 7GB of an 8GB laptop.  

I am not sure why western digital releases versions without properly testing.

I am running windows xp sp3 and it is failing just like you described.

These are not just us. A few days ago, there was a product review in NYTimes for WD MybookLive and the reviewer said installing stuff and really configuring for this product is not easy. I had a lot of trouble when I first bought it. I thought I am over the hump, not this nonsense again.

When you download stuff from Apple, Microsoft, it installs without pain. Why is it not so Western Digital?

Shall i go back to the old version? I do not like wasting weekends like a fool.

Thanks.

Sankar

sankarmukh wrote:

…A few days ago, there was a product review in NYTimes for WD MybookLive and the reviewer said installing stuff and really configuring for this product is not easy.

Is this the article? http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/a-cloud-of-ones-own/

Yes…

Thanks.

Sankar

Hi,
Just like everybody on this thread, the new update doe not work. On your website, it  lets me download 1.5.4.!B and I get 1603 error.

Is there a way to get the older version like 1.5.1.16 on your website?

Now, I have no smartware on my pc…

Doe that B mean that we are all “Beta Testers”? 

May I download the stable version from your website?

Thnaks,

Sankar

Hi all,

See my posts from Tuesday April 10th please.

Staying with vs. 1.4.5.2 seems to be working for me (For now?) 1.5.4.8 did not.

1.4.5.2 was what came with the drive. After a full uninstal of the update (Using free Revo uninstaller). I reinstalled the older software and am ignoring WD’s info that a new update is available - at least until I see solutions in this forum or direct from WD.

No issues with CPU or memory usage at the moment - although it’s a bit heavy for a while when I first unlock the drive. To be fair, I am a heavy user of large graphic files. (17GB of new files last Sunday) So I would expect some pretty heavy CPU & read/write activity on start up.

No contact from WD and I am not willing to post my cell phone number.

how to download and install updates keep getting new update notice downloaded required installation software PLEASE HELP WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION

This update has been an absolute piece of junk !!

I Downloaded update and tried to install it and it failed. (citing error 1603-please try again or contact support)

Tried to install again - same results.

I then rebooted and tried to open WDSmartware thinking the previous version would run - nothing !

Tried to uninstall - that failed - citing a script error in some file.

I am now locked out of my WD drive since WD Smartware won’t run to allow me to enter my setup password.

Thanks for nothing but headaches!

I have emailed “Support” and received a reply stating that they must call me on the phone to help me through the problem. Give me a break!! Does WD ever generate software that is ready to use or can they provide a fix for what appears to be a common problem??

I believe it is time to relegate WD hardware/software to a yard sale and look for a good Seagate setup

By the way, I have - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with all updates…

I also am wondering just exactly what version this update is supposed to be…the download is named 1.5.4.11b and during the failed installation, there is reference to 1.5.4.5 and 1.5.4.8 ???

I recently got a new computer running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I also am now having even more issues than I did on my old computer.

I tried this version and it failed miserably so I went back to 1.5.1.6.  Now that version too has greyed out backup and restore tabs.  The My Book Essential is attached and the activity light is blinking but WDSmartware is no longer able to find it.  I am sure that it is not backing up my files any more.

I see another post (2 weeks ago) that suggests that a new update 1.6 should be released soon.  When is soon?

Hi LOneRanger417,

I presume you have the Backup and Retrieve tabs but they are greyed out (an unexplained feature of the latest software).  The Home tab should have an icon for your computer and, to the right of it, an icon for your WD external Drive.  Click on the icon for the WD Drive and, after a few seconds, the Backup and Retrieve tabs should become active and cease to be greyed out.

I’ve seen nothing recently from WD about the release of SW 1.6.

it is easy to update WD smart version 1.5.4.5 for Windows.

karan chanana- Sam

it is difficult to update.

karan chanana- karan

it is very easy to update software.

karan chanana- mitthu