Software install

The WD software installs on the C drive without allowing one to choose which drive to install the software.  This is very annoying.  I have an SSD as the C: drive. These drives are not large.  We should be able to choose where the software is installed.  I refuse to install all of the software until this can be resolved.  If I knew this would happen I would have gone to a competitor.

Welcome to the Community.

The WD My Cloud can be used without installing any bundled software sans WD SmartWare for automatic backups unless you use Windows Backup/File History.

If a store said we sell bad food or broken products but you don’t have to buy it.  Should customers accept that as the solution?   I am not suggesting WD products are bad. This was just to make a point.  If a company does something that is restrictive and then the answer is…but you don’t have to use it.  Is that the correct answer?   I bought the product assuming I was getting a turnkey solution.   Companies like WD in the past when they had software on a CD would have provided a choice of where the software was installed.   Default to the obvious choice and then give the user the chance to change it. 

Your post sounds more like a good Feature Request; the best place for this, is in the Ideas Exchange section. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it and will allow more users to support your idea.

However, I would first search and make sure that there are no other active Feature Requests suggesting the same or similar improvements. If there is, then you could add your post and vote on it.

Software & Accessory Ideas

How small is your drive? Checking my drive the My Cloud software only takes up 119 MB.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)