So when will the WDTV be obsolete

I just noticed that thru my Verizon fios there is a media manager available in which I can stream my media on any TV in the house.   Granted it is not it is not in HD and is not picking up all folders and does not play all file types.  However,  it seems like it is a matter of time before we can do what we do with the WDTV thru our cable companies or even on the TV’s we buy.  Maybe that is why WD does not care if they ■■■■ us off because they know that in a few months or so we will no longer need to buy this product. 

So this new thing does not play HD or all file types and in a few months it will make WDTV obsolete. Don’t put money on it.

The problem with the replacements for the WD TV is that they’re all items that are infrequently replaced.

Most people buy a TV and will keep it until it dies, because it’s so expensive.

Most cable companies will not ship out updated routers / cable boxes to existing customers for free.  New customers get them and old customers either upgrade or get them as a replacement for a dying old model.  Also, not everybody has cable to start with.

We’re not yet at a point where there’s a TV or cable box that replaces the WD TV.  Once we get to that point, it’ll be a number of YEARS before there is a significant impact on WD TV sales.

Agree. I have a DirecTV box that can stream media - it has been in beta mode for 2 years. First, I don’t think it’s a priority for DTV and second the box was never designed as a media player. The same is true of all the bluray players with media streaming capabilities. That is bolt on secondary functionality at best. WD et al will always be superior in doing what they are designed to do.

Grant:  “We’re not yet at a point where there’s a TV or cable box that replaces the WD TV.  Once we get to that point, it’ll be a number of YEARS before there is a significant impact on WD TV sales.”

That’s what I thought about my Linksys extenders and Windows Media Center.:angry: