So, what's the official word on Cinavia?

Just dumped my PS3 on eBay and I really want the Live Hub, but only if I can confirm that someone out there is streaming Moneyball, Salt, The Other Guys, The Adventures of Tin-Tin, Splice, The Losers or any other rip from a CInavia protected Blu-Ray.

Can 1 or 2 people just confirm that they can do this with a current version of the Live Hub?

smitbret wrote:

Just dumped my PS3 on eBay and I really want the Live Hub, but only if I can confirm that someone out there is streaming Moneyball, Salt, The Other Guys, The Adventures of Tin-Tin, Splice, The Losers or any other rip from a CInavia protected Blu-Ray.

Can 1 or 2 people just confirm that they can do this with a current version of the Live Hub?

PM sent…

1 Like

I ripped all of the first 4 on your list to MKV and they played back fine on my Hub.

2 Likes

These were all of the answers I needed. Thanks guys, my Hub should be here on Tuesday.  Looking forward to spending more time here in the future.

Well, got the Hub today. Hooked it up and played back 2 Blu-ray rips that are Cinavia protected (logo on the case), The Other Guys and Salt. Played them both for 30 minutes and had no problems. I can confirm that as of May 8, 2012 the WD TV Live Hub does not have Cinavia implemented on it.

In the 2 hours I’ve spent with the Hub, I can honestly say this device is exactly what I was looking for. Impressed so far.

Dag, i’m glad SOMEONE is happy with it. :slight_smile:

Is that not common?  Other than the boot up time, it does exactly what I expected and more.

smitbret wrote:

Is that not common?  Other than the boot up time, it does exactly what I expected and more.

There’s the problem, expectations. Seems like some people want the Hub to be what it is not and too many of them end up in here complaining. I’ve had my issues with performance from time to time, but it does exactly what I expected and bought it to do.

Couldn’t have said it better. Pretty much does what I bought it for without issue. No more or less problems than any other technology I play with. Plays my music, my vids and streams my online stuff. Not bad for a sub $200 item with a TB of storage on top of all that.

Miami_Son wrote:

… but it does exactly what I expected and bought it to do.

-P

I too found my wdtvlive hub after becoming more and more frustrated with sony and cinavia. still trying to get everything set correctly and was becoming just as frustrated after reading thread after thread here by how hard it seemed to be to get a straight answer to questions. (and this is just my opinion) So thanks to for this straightforward answer:smiley:

…Just be aware that even though the WD products don’t have it yet,  there is nothing to prevent it from being added in the future via firmware update…

donthetech wrote:

…Just be aware that even though the WD products don’t have it yet,  there is nothing to prevent it from being added in the future via firmware update…

Yup, so true. But that’s when I either toss it in the trash or roll back to FW without it or use a hacked version of the FW. There are alternatives…

I to bought my wdtv live streaming back in May. It plays everything out of the box. unfortunately out the box it has 1.04.12 software. It maybe more useful to know if peoples wdtvs are cinavia free what software version they are running. Can anybody update on this situation? cheers

Well my solution for it is: go to VUDU, find movie, if it’s there, buy it and download to my  Hub’s hard drive and bada-bing bada-boom, done…

If you go to the Cinavia web page, it states clearly that it is for blu ray players. Check it out! So stop worrying and enjoy!