So is there no way to default to a network share for specific media type?

What I mean is, if I go into videos, I only want to see the shares that are relevant.  As of now, it looks like the only option is to see everything shared.   Doesn’t make any sense to handle it this way.

I’m not sure I understand your question.  Why would you add irrelevant shares to your media library?

I want to go into Videos and only see my Video shared folder.   Instead what I see is every share on my server.  Defeats the purpose of having sections for each media type.  Since I posted…

1)  It looks like I can use Favorites in Dashboard to narrow the view to what would be the relevant folders.  The problem is I have no option to set Favorities to any folder in a network share.   Still trying to figure out why the option doesn’t show up

2)  Media Library - Not clear what this actually does.  I tried adding one of the folders to the media library and it found nothing.  I have to delete the share from the media library settings just to be able to see any shares again

What version of firmware are you using?

It’s the latest one - at least per the firmware update that I got on the device

Enable the media library. Then add each of your shares to the media library manager. Wait for the WDTV to finish compiling the library, then switch the content source to “My Media Library.”

this is normal behavior for the SMP if you’re browsing your network shares through sources.
if you add each specific share to the Media Library like Tony states it will only show the ones you want.

Ok guys.  I’ll give this a shot when I figure out why I can’t see some of my shares

Hi Guys, I need some help here too

I did add all my share to the " Files" section, pressed option and added the folders to the media library, but for some reason it only adds 2 of my shared movies folders to the media library. On of them I get a note saying that “this folder or sub folders has been already added to the library, please choose another folder” or sometimes it states that this folder has been added already, choose another folder. I do not see this folder in my “Video” section.

I did a factory reset a few times, after that it did pick the folder that was previously denied, but now I get the same message for the folder that was previously OK

I have deleted the .wd file that was created , and started fresh, but I can only seems to get 2 of the folders into my video library

I hope I am making some sense here

Any help is much appreciated

hey Vinmatrix, 

i don’t think you have to add them to the “files” section in the WDTV.

I have a network share from my home server.  I needed to go into the settings/ system/ media manager section and enable the media library as Tony mentioned below.

then in the same area, add folders to your media library.  you can add them a folder at a time from your shared folders on various machines, and they all go into the one large library.

hope that helps! 

kudos if it makes sense. =) 

D

Thanks for the quick reply D,

I did it that way too, but was getting the same error message. it always refuses to add some of the share folders, when_ I_ open the folder

I do see the check marks on it, but nothing in my video section

I must be missing something

ddayton wrote:

hey Vinmatrix, 

i don’t think you have to add them to the “files” section in the WDTV.

I have a network share from my home server.  I needed to go into the settings/ system/ media manager section and enable the media library as Tony mentioned below.

then in the same area, add folders to your media library.  you can add them a folder at a time from your shared folders on various machines, and they all go into the one large library.

hope that helps! 

kudos if it makes sense. =) 

D

did you also remove them from your “files” section ?   perhaps that is a conflict… i would remove all your shares… and start fresh, or quickly set it back to factory defaults and try again from the fresh start.  

when you add them in the media library… does the light on the front flash and a message  saying " compliling media library… " show up across the top of the display? 

what format are the video files?  do you rip Video + audio folders to the hard drive?  or make an ISO? or convert them to MKV / M4P for size? 

sorry for the plethora of questions… just trying to diagnose without seeing it all… =) 

D

Thanks D, Most of my files are MKV and MP4. No ISO files

I am at work right now, but when I get home I will do a factory resest and start fresh.

And yes, I do see the light flashing and the media compiling sign when I add the shares to the library

You might be right that there is a conflict between the file sections and media library section. I will have more info tonight.

Also, When I add the video files to the library, all the poster and cover art goes to the Picture section (library), how can I prevent that from happeneing. I only want my actual pictures to be in that section

All my movies are in their individual folders with poster and cover art

Thanks for your help

ddayton wrote:

did you also remove them from your “files” section ?   perhaps that is a conflict… i would remove all your shares… and start fresh, or quickly set it back to factory defaults and try again from the fresh start.  

when you add them in the media library… does the light on the front flash and a message  saying " compliling media library… " show up across the top of the display? 

what format are the video files?  do you rip Video + audio folders to the hard drive?  or make an ISO? or convert them to MKV / M4P for size? 

sorry for the plethora of questions… just trying to diagnose without seeing it all… =) 

D

So I went home did a factory reset with no luck.

My shared folder names are as follow:

HD Movies

HD Movies2

Movies

I got the same eror stating that this folder has already been added, choose another folder

The issue is between the HD Movies and HD Movies2 folders, when I added the HD Movies Folder to the Media Library and then proceeded to the HD Movies2 folder, I do see the check marks already, but these were not added yet

The same goes if I add HD Movies2 folder fisrt to the Libarary it automaticaly detects HD Movies folders as already being added.

Please note that HD Movies and HD Movies2 are being shared from 2 seperate external hardrives, they are not on the smae drives

When I went to my PC to check the folders I have noticed that HD Movies does have a .wd_tv created, but HD Movies2 has nothing in there, but still I get the message that this has already been added

Is there a problem the way my folders are named?

Please help

Thnaks

I can only suggest to do a full reset of everything, Try this.

1. Unshare all your folders on the PC

2. Remove all the network media library shares on the media player

3. Clear the network login on the media player

4. Delete all the WDTV folders on your hard drives on your pc

5. Re-Boot your PC and media player

6. share your network folders again on your PC.

7. Login to your PC from your media player

8. Add media library shares from your media player by pressing options on your remote control over the folder(s) you want to add to the media library

9. Let the media library compile before you attempt what you want to do

Hope this helps

Phil

I am giving up. I have tried all the helpful suggestions, but can’t get this to work

I have resetted the box like 20 times already. Cleaned up all my shared folders

Cleared up everything and reassigned the shares

The problems lies between 2 folders containing HD movies. If I assign one of them then the other one doesn’t work.

Doesn’t matter which one I assign first

I keep getting the error that this folder has been already added, please choose another folder

I am thinking about returning this box on Monday if I can’t this to work this weekend

Please guys, any more suggestions

When you share folders from your pc, are you sharing the entire drive.

It is best to share each folder within the drive.

That’s exactly how my folders are shared. I have not shared the drives, but the individual folders within the drives. I keep getting the same error message that this folder or sub folder had been added already

I have also tried renamIng the shared folder name with no luck. It doesn’t fix the problem

I am sure it’s not the WD Box, but something to do with how the shares are being read

Any more help guys?

Thanks

If a shared folder (called “A”, for example) is, itself, inside another shared folder (called “B”), then you cannot have both A and B in the media library.

If ALL of your shared folders are at the same level of hierarchy, there should be no reason why you’re seeing that error.

Thanks for the quick response

My shared folders resides in 3 locations:

I have 2 external hard drives and each drive has a shared folder over the network

Seagate: HD Movies2, this is not a sub folder of another folder all the movies resides in this main folder

Iomega: Movies, this folder does have 5 subfolders with movies in it, but I have no problem adding this to the library. I have jus added the main folder to the library

The third locations is my C drive of my PC, this shared folder is called HD Movies

The conflicting folders are  on Seagate and my C drive