So annoyed at the kids at WD who are writing software these days

First Annoyance

In order to create a post in the SSD forum you have to navigate to the root of this community before you can click on “New Topic” then select the forum that you want to post this post under.

Instead of already being in the forum and clicking on New Topic.

Second Annoyance

I came home today and woke my Mac up from sleep and clicked on my USB drive to find…
nothing… absolutely nothing. No files. No directories… like… what … the…

Rebooted the Mac

to find no USB drive mounting…

Background

I hate dedicated software like “discovery” that I don’t want to use when I have a USB drive attached to my Mac but just for fun I installed the WD Security and discovery software and after a mess of pop ups indicating that a newer version is available click here, click here and there and finally after 15 minutes of absolute horror of installs and reboots, everything was installed.

So I decided to put a password protection on my USB drive, plus checking off all the checkboxes so that discovery and anything else doesn’t automatically start up on reboot.

This is when I put my Mac to sleep and left to go shopping.

Somewhere in the software I noticed a checkbox that auto mounts my locked USB Drive but since I put a Password on it, I don’t want to have it auto mount my USB drive without a password. I believe this is one of those options that when unchecked, it doesn’t auto mount my usb drive.

I did start up the security app and after entering my password and hit return… nothing happen…
I did this several times. each time I hit return… and nothing happens

It turns out that after entering a password, a button appears below to mount the USB drive… like again… what in the world of who designs this software?

Hitting return after entering a password should mount the usb drive instead of moving the mouse to a button that says mount drive.

Anyways, I clicked on the mount drive and nothing happens… no mounting…

but… I do have a new security panel now that I can changed my security… os I removed my password so I don’t have all this frigging nonsense of losing my drive…

rebooted again…

no USB drive…

I started up the WD Discovery App manually since I disabled it on startup… and after fiddling with it for about 5 minutes… with no usb drive appearing… I clicked on having it auto start and

rebooted again…

WD Discovery pops up
My USB drive pops up

I clicked on the options to have WD Discovery not autostart
I clicked on the uninstall for WD Security
I clicked on the uninstall for all WD Apps

I rebooted again…

My USB drive is automounted sans password…

Back to normal…

I have no idea what WD software is doing but don’t use it for a USB drive. Discovery is not needed and that security program? I have no idea what it is doing but I tell you that it protects itself from the user.

This isn’t the first time that I butted head with WD systems but this is absolutely horrible.

From the time I got home at 4:30 till now an hour later at 5:30, I have been fighting with a simple USB drive and its horrible software.