SMP dropping connection to USB HDD when transferring files over gigabit

Hey,  I watch all of my content off a USB 2/3 WD 2 TB My Book.  I recently ran a cat6 cable to the SMP because I was sick of dragging the HDD to my main PC whenever I had to transfer files onto it.  Anyway the gigabit connection is great.  As a test I streamed a 1080P file with no problems at all.

The problem I’m having is when I’m transferring a large number of files to the HDD over gigabit.  For some reason the SMP and HDD lose connection. By large number, I’m talking a season or two worth of TV episodes for example.   When it happens the SMP seems fine however I have to power down both the SMP and HDD to get them ‘talking’ again.

I also ensure that while doing transfers the SMP isn’t being used for anything else.

So any ideas as to why this may be happening? 

Cheers

Dave

This is rare when the drive is wired to the router

something is making the connecting stall while transferring…

Check the router firewall settings… 

What firmware do you have?

Rubicon99 wrote:

Hey,  I watch all of my content off a USB 2/3 WD 2 TB My Book.  I recently ran a cat6 cable to the SMP because I was sick of dragging the HDD to my main PC whenever I had to transfer files onto it.  Anyway the gigabit connection is great.  As a test I streamed a 1080P file with no problems at all.

The problem I’m having is when I’m transferring a large number of files to the HDD over gigabit.  For some reason the SMP and HDD lose connection. By large number, I’m talking a season or two worth of TV episodes for example.   When it happens the SMP seems fine however I have to power down both the SMP and HDD to get them ‘talking’ again.

I also ensure that while doing transfers the SMP isn’t being used for anything else.

So any ideas as to why this may be happening? 

Cheers

Dave

Just out of interest I don’t think the SMP has a Gigabit network interface, just a standard 10/100 Ethernet. Is your router or network switch showing the connection as Gigabit or standard Ethernet? Do you have problems with the SMP and HDD losing connection when you play media from the HDD?

Wizer wrote:

This is rare when the drive is wired to the router

something is making the connecting stall while transferring…

Check the router firewall settings… 

What firmware do you have?

I’m still back on 1.04.X.  For the most part everything is working great, so i’m not going to tempt fate upgrading firmware just yet.

Yeah I was thinking there’s some kind of interrupt happening along the network path somewhere but what i don’t get is why this causes the SMP to ‘lose’ the HDD.  If it was a network/firewall/router issue  then I’d assume I’d have trouble seeing the SMP when the error happens but that’s not the case.  All signs (at this stage) point to the SMP doing something but I’ll do some more testing on the weekend.  Then again it could be an issue with the HDD and it’s disconnecting from the SMP.  I certainly haven’t seen that behaviour when connected to the PC though.

Thanks