Smooth upgrade - thank you

Aside from some programs that I didn’t use being missing I had no problem upgrading either. My NAS is primarily a media server so my process for upgrading was:

1. Log into router web interface
  2. Click the “update” button
  3. Wait 20 minutes for it to update
  4. Log back into web interface
  5. Skip their “cloud setup” and mobile app setup as I don’t want it “indexing” (trancoding) all of my media.
  6. Go to the applications section of the web interface where it told me that my Plex was out of date and needed upgrading
  7. From there it (the web interface itself) downloaded the OS5 version of Plex and installed it. It came up happily and was ostensibly fine except for being an older version. No lost media, no wrong version of Plex.
  8. Go into Plex and download the latest OS5 Plex version then update it normally.

As far as WD are concerned that was the upgrade as it happened. I’ve since had to “manage” some of WDs more questionable decisions about what should be constantly spinning up the drives but the upgrade itself was relatively painless.

I do honestly feel for those who lost functionality or tried to install the OS3 version of Plex accidentally
and may have lost their libraries as a result. WD do not make it 100% clear that you should not reinstall the OS3 version or somehow block that version, but clean and mostly fault free migrations to the “new” OS are possible.

1 Like