Smartware unable to find MyCloudMirror

Thank you DarrenHill, you have been a great motivational force in my quest to find a solution.

PROMBLEM FOUND BUT NOT SORTED ---------- YET!

After trying all the things I have already mentioned on here and more I just stared at the monitor and reflected on what I had done, what people had said to me and what I could do next.

I drifted back to a comment DarrenHill had sent my way about my Firewall.

So I went into my Zone Alarm Anti virus & Firewall program and into Application control and View programs.

I noticed all the WD entries and saw that some were set to custom and not auto and the Wd My Cloud exe. was missing a tick on either the outbgound or inbound (can’t remember) internet. I changed them all to give WD the most access I could.

I went to Smartware and MCM was showing. I was over the moon thinking it was sorted. But not sooner had I blinked when it went again and I couldn’t get it back.

At that point I decided to uninstall Zone Alarm Extreme Security and rebooted.

MCM was now showing in smartware and it remained like a good little programe.

So that was the answer but how could I get both things working together?

I went through numerous tasks of uninstalling then installing in a different order but the result was always the same. I couldn’t have both things (Smartware & Zone Alarm) working together.

I am at the stage now where I have uninstalled Zone Alarm and running a backup on my MCM using Smartware.

Happy days but what about an anti virus and Firewall?

Well after writing this message I will be writing an email to Zone Alarm to see what they can do to fasciltate the two items to hold hands and work in unison.

I will also probably download the free AVG anti virus programe until I receive an answer from Zone Alarm.

Unfortunately I have another 12 paid months with Zopne Alarm so don’t really want to ditch them at this time.

Question

1/. I wonder if I put Zone alarm back on would the instantanious backups continue to run even though I can’t see them on smartware or will Zone alarm stop them?

2/. Is AVG a good free programe or is there a better one?

Pete

‘Leave me in the dark and I will find the light’.

You’re welcome - glad you’re making some progress on this at last. I’ve got Zone Alarm (AV + Firewall) on my PC (the free version in my case) so it is possible to get them to behave together, and as far as I can recall I’ve not done anything to it specifically by way of configuration. 

In my ZA everything is set to automatic, and all the WD apps are set to Smart Defense auto, trust level 3, with all four of inbound/outbound + trusted/internet ticked.

As to your question, I think the only way to be sure of a back-up continuing is to make some new files once ZA is replaced and see if they do get backed up. My honest expectation is that they won’t though, and I certainly wouldn’t trust it without trial and confirmation first.

Hi DarrenHill,

That is interesting that you also have ZA and for you it works fine.

Today I have uninstalled and installed it about 3 times so I have had un-tampered with copies and it still doesn’t work.

I went onto live chat at ZA and they said they couldn’t check it unless I had ZA installed on my computer.

I am in the middle of a backup so won’t be re-loading it until that has finished and then I will have to contact them again.

I am/was running ZA Extreme version 13.3.052.000.

How about you?

Pete

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 13.2.015.000
Vsmon version: 13.2.15.0
Driver version: 13.1.123.0
Antivirus engine version: 8.3.4.4
Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1177170496

It’s the free dual-suite version, under Win 7 home premium.

1 Like

I just got through to Zone Alarm live chat.

In the first part of the chat the operator got me to change a few settings and reboot. Unfortunately I didn’t get chance to get a copy of that part of the chat but below is a copy of the 2nd part.

To say I am disgusted is an understatement.

[deleted - violation of privacy]

I find it hard to grasp that they tried so little and gave up.

So the conclusion appears to be short and sweet. Ditch Zone Alarm after using it for 15 or 20 years and go somewhere else for my protection.

In doing that I loose complete faith in Zone Alarm not to mention the 265 days of cover I still have to run!

My Cloud Mirror is more important than an anti virus company.

But which shall I choose?

What do you use?

Pete

As I said in my chat to Zone Alarm.

MCM shows up in Quick view whether Zone Alarm is installed or not.

It shows it when I hover over the Quick view icon without Zone alarm installed but only shows it when I click on quick view if Zone alarm is installed.

Strange!

If Zone Alarm is installed the only options I get in Quick View with it are, Wake it or Forget it.

When Zone Alarm is not installed it shows all my shares…

I am getting tired of this game now.

I am going to Egypt on the 19th so was hoping to get everything up and working so I could access my MCM from there!

Pete

I now think that this thread has come to the end of the road.

Yesterday I uninstalled and sent Zone Alarm Extreme Security into cyberspace.

After a lot of investigation I dowloaded and started using ‘AVIRA’ fee anti virus and it does not conflict with MCM and they are living together happily.

A bonus was that I could also install it on my iPhone via the app store and monitor both my PC and iPhone anti virus from one location.

Shortly after I received a call from Dutch Andy in WD support,

He had been monitoring the problems I had encountered and also the other questions and suggestions that I had made.

We had a long chat and I have to say that he was really helpful and understanding.

He showed all the qualities of someone who knew what he was talking about and had great ‘people skills’.

I would also like to thank DarrenHill for his contributions on this and other posts I have made.

Pete

‘Leave me in the dark and I will find the light’