Smartware stops Macs from waking from sleep

Hi All

to add another complaint to the Smartware list: This awful piece of bloatware stops my brand new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard from waking up from sleep – I have to do a force shutdown and restart.There are other Mac users who have reported this in th Apple forums.

Unbelievable.

It also slows the machine down no end.

I have bought WD drives for the last two years but will never do so again until I can get Smartware 100% OFF the drives – not just hidden, as their latest ‘fix’ enables you to do.

WESTERN DIGITAL: WAKE UP AND GIVE US THE OPTION TO GET RID OF THIS TERRIBLE PIECE OF BLOATWARE EASILY – otherwise you will deservedly lose market share.

Next time I’m going to stump up more $ for a LaCie.

Cheers

Adam

Yeah!  Hopefully, WD will come up with a way for us to get completely rid of SmartWare.

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro. The problem is, MAC can not properly sleep and can not wake up after installing WD Smartware. The screen becomes dark and the system freezes. This happens only in the High Battery Life mode. When the high performance graphics card mode is on, MAC again does not sleep in proper way (ie. the white led does not pulse, stays solid) but at least does not freeze after the screen becomes dark.

Anyway, this WD smartware can not work properly with Macbooks and MacOS 10.6 .

Come on WD please fix this sleep problem in MacBook Pro or quit bundling your software in every device.

I forgot to mention that I have updated the software to 1.2.1.25 ant it kept on making the same problem.

antmen,

I have MacBook Pro 17" + My Book Essential (Firmware 2.003) + WD SmartWare 1.2.1.25 and Sleep and Wake Fine (on demand not timed).

Could you tell me followings for me to help you?

1.  What is the exact model attached to your drive & Firmware?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=1&lang=en

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=2&lang=en

2.  What is the version of OS (10.6.2 for example)?

3.  When you put the computer to sleep, are you using menu to time out sleep?

4.  Does MacBook Pro go to sleep?

5.  Does WD Drive go to sleep (spin down)?

More details the better in step by step instruction.