Smartware Removal

I apologize if this has been asked many times before, but despite hours of searching I still don’t have an answer.  I attempted to install firmware and software updates this week, but received error code 1603 near the completion of the sofware update.  I spoke with support and the gentleman recommended removal of the software with subsequent re-installation.  When attempting the uninstall the smartware, the Windows 7 uninstall utilility was not successfull.  I then made subsequent attempts to remove the software manually, but that was not successful either as it indicated the software was being run as part of another program.  Please advise on the best way to remove smartware so so I can attempt to install the newest version.

1 Like

can you restart your computer in safe mode?  That may prevent services from running and you’d be able to delete programs folders and regsitry entries fo all wd software.

Ok, I have the software removed with help from WD support.  I would like to now use the drive manually.  Do I need to remove or disable the VCD from my drive to do so?  Right now the only thing that shows up when the drive is plugged in is the CD drive…there is no indication of the hard drive.  Will the hard drive show up as a regular USB drive only after the VCD is removed or should it be showing up now (meaning I have other problems)?

The HD shows up in the device manager but is not recognized.  Do I need to initialize, partition and format the drive per WD instructions?  this is all a bit new to me.

Is your drive locked by chance? If it’s locked you will want to remove your password to make the drive appear on connection- otherwise you need to use the unlocker every time you connect it.

How do I unlock it now that the smartware is removed?

Butcher wrote:

How do I unlock it now that the smartware is removed?

The Unlocker/WD Smartware will still show up on the computer section so you can unlock it.

ok, I’m getting closer.  I can unlock the drive and it then shows up on Windows Explorer (My Computer), but I need to do so each time I plug the drive in.  Is there a way to disable the password protection without reinstalling smartware?  It seems to be requiring me to install the software before any drive settings can be changed.  Thanks.

Butcher wrote:

ok, I’m getting closer.  I can unlock the drive and it then shows up on Windows Explorer (My Computer), but I need to do so each time I plug the drive in.  Is there a way to disable the password protection without reinstalling smartware?

Not without erasing the data.

Just for kicks, how would it be done if I was fine with losing the data on the drive?  I really have a desire to use this thing as a simple USB drive (understanding I probably bought the wrong product for this).

Just download the quick formatter from WD’s site on this case, if it doesn’t erase the password along with the data then you’ll be down to installing Skynet (Smartware) just to permanently remove the password and then uninstalling Skynet again.

I think if you enter the password wrong like 5 or 6 times it gives you the option to wipe out everything including the password. If not, reinstall SmartWare, remove the password, and than uninstall it again… Once its removed you won’t have to do it again.

1 Like