Smartware does not see MyCLoud

I too am returning my “WD Mycloud”. a complete waste of time and money.

No support from WD, WD Smartware not robust enough to automatically set itself up without some serious trimming of settings etc.

Nice idea but not ready for the general user market

My experience with WD tech support was beyond excellent. Best support I’ve ever had from a vendor. That the device did not work is dissappointing but cannot be blamed on WD. In my case, my network just does not allow cross talk. Blaming WD would be wrong. Microsoft is the culprit and I wouild not expect any help from the devil.

Just to add to this dicussion. I bought yesterday the drive and spent around 8 hours dealing with this same problem, tried everyting and still couldn´t get it running. I called the support numbers that came in the box and got “out of service”, then email them and got a response that honestly seems like you write an email so that a machine can respond … it was just this standard response that honestly really dissapointed me.

Concluding the story… I’m returning the product because it simply doesn’t work as the nice video says it does and mainly because of the terrible support they have … I can understand a product like this might have problems relating for example to the OS, but they should have better support than just a standard response and if not then to go to the store and ask for a replacement.

Multiple windows devices on home network, including 2 work laptops that do authenticate via VPN to work domains.

Internal windows devices plus ipads no problem seeing wdmycloud

One work laptop would not see wdmycloud via WD smartware, smartware would only see dropbox.

I could see wdmycloud via quickview and wd my cloud and use UNC mapping via internal IP address.

So this is what worked for me to get wdmycloud in smartware.  Uninstalled all WD software,  added hostfile entry to host file

wdmycloud      XXX.XXX.XXX

rebooted laptop

Went to http://wd.com/setup/wdmycloud and ran setup once complete installed smartware.

wdmycloud is now found & is happily backing up. 

Perhaps I installed software in the incorect order or perhaps the host file entry fixed the issue or perhaps the magic pixie dust worked.  I have spent enough time on this and am not going to test because IT IS CURRENTLY working. 

HTH somebody.

1 Like

Read all of the above and tried the same.  Then unplugged MyCloud, plugged it back in again…  Including re-install of software.

I think Windows update screwed setup up.  Password is required to login to my router…  once that was in, It was able to Smartware was able to see MyCloud again as an available backup location. 

It’s refreshing through the previous download, but I think i’m set.

VL