Smartware does not see MyCLoud

Smartware does not see the MyCloud. Windows Explorer does. I mapped the MyCloud as drive Z, and Smartware saw the drive briefly, but then it disappeared. Reboot had no effect.The backup tab is grayed out. The drive can be seen in Windows Explorer or as a mapped drive. Performed all the rebooting. The device is visible on the network by two PCs and a Mac. What am I missing? Trying to download the PDF manual fails.

Are you on the latest version of smartware?

I downloaded the Smartware on Sunday.

I received this incomprehensible msg from WD support:

Go in to your control panel and then Programs and Features, make sure you have the latest .Net 4.0 Client Profile installed. If the problem exists, uninstall all the links for WDSmaqrtware and WDQuickview, then restart your computer. Once your computer has restarted download WDSmartware from our website to reinstall it and this should resolve your scenario.

I have no idea what Net 4.0 Client Profile is. I assume “if the problem exists” means if it is not Net 4.0.

The Smartware version is 2.2.0 and I am told there is no update when I check for an update.

They mean .Net Framework 4 :  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

What OS are you running on you PC?

Win7 home premium.

I found a .NET reference in Programs & Features:  .NET Framwwork  3.5.1, and apparently not all of it is running, according to the blue box under which two unchecked items appear (1) Windows Communcation Foundation HTTP Activation and (2)  Windows Communcation Foundation non-HTTP Activation.

I am unsure about whether I can, should, or how to update this to the reocmmended 4.0 from the WD support msg.

Yes, you can install .Net 4, it can run along with Net 3.5.1.

From Microsoft .Net site:

The .NET Framework 4 works side by side with older Framework versions. Applications that are based on earlier versions of the Framework will continue to run on the version targeted by default.

Here’s the confusion, the download button provides three options so how do I know what to download to install?

1. NDP40-KB2600211-x86-IA64.exe
  2. NDP40-KB2600211-x86.exe
  3. NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe

My system is 64-bit OS

NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe

No luck. Installed .NET 4.xx, removed Smartware. Rebooted. Installed Smartware. Back to square 1.

Does you PC see the MyCloud as a “Computer” under “Network”?

MyCloud is “all over the place” and out of control. I got a level 2 WD tech to take over my computer, and he was unable to get Smartware to work. Now the PC does not “see” the MyCLoud as a Network device. My iPhone and MacBook Air, however, see MyCloud.  So, wireless works but ethernet does not, yet ethernet MUST work  because otherwise the two wireless devices would not work.  The device is not connecting through the router to the Ethernet-connected PCs. The technician is supposed to try to get back on on Tuesday. Thank you for your interest in the problem. I can try to get back into this discussio to let you know what happened.

By any chance do you have a router that has a main SSID and a guest SSID?  I notice if I am connected to the guest SSID, then MyCloud is not visible as a network drive and hence not visible in SmartWare as a backup target.  I’m assuming this is a security feature of the router on the guest SSID.

1 Like

If I could join in on this topic.

Having bought the Mycloud device I am very disapointed to find problems before I even get to use it! 

WD Smartware does not show Mycloud as an option to back -up to, only Dropbox which I dont want to use as I will have to pay to use it and thats the only justification for buying Mycloud.

I have tried all the fixes I can find on the community website including using WD Discovery and Microsoft Netframework 4 as well as updating all the relevant software. The drive shows on my network and I can drag and drop files to it in the conventional way.

If I dont get it working today its being returned to Amazon to get my money back, I have already wasted some hours on this just to save a few pound expenditure.

Have emailed WD support and am awaiting reply but if there is something I have missed please tell me about it.

vikingmike wrote:

By any chance do you have a router that has a main SSID and a guest SSID?  I notice if I am connected to the guest SSID, then MyCloud is not visible as a network drive and hence not visible in SmartWare as a backup target.  I’m assuming this is a security feature of the router on the guest SSID.

That’s the whole point of guest access, they can connect to the internet but not to your network. Note also that this is a WiFi connection whereas the mycloud is Ethernet.

Wobblysailor wrote:

If I could join in on this topic.

Having bought the Mycloud device I am very disapointed to find problems before I even get to use it! 

WD Smartware does not show Mycloud as an option to back -up to, only Dropbox which I dont want to use as I will have to pay to use it and thats the only justification for buying Mycloud.

I have tried all the fixes I can find on the community website including using WD Discovery and Microsoft Netframework 4 as well as updating all the relevant software. The drive shows on my network and I can drag and drop files to it in the conventional way.

If I dont get it working today its being returned to Amazon to get my money back, I have already wasted some hours on this just to save a few pound expenditure.

Have emailed WD support and am awaiting reply but if there is something I have missed please tell me about it.

Did the mycloud install OK when you used the setup programming? Have you got quickview installed and does it see the drive?

Thanks for your help richuk.

I have had a look at system and cannot find any reference to Guest SSID furthermore as you suggest my connection to my PC is Ethernet.

The router I am using is the BTHomehub 4 which does have a wi-fi sharing feature built in for the BTopenzone but not apparently accessible by the home user.

I keep tinkering and hoping for the magical solution  :)

Forget the guest access post that was a reply to another poster. I replied to your post and asked some questions.

Sorry richuk, missed the question thinking about ssid

Yes quick view is intsalled and running so much as it will start Smartware but the other functions refered to in Smartware user manual such as Check the status of supported WD drives or Safely disconnect supported WD drives

do not appear to function.

I appreciate everyone’s input but the problem has gone away: I returned one MyCloud to the store and a replacement back to WD. A WD level 2 tech logged on to my network but was unable to make the device work. My black-belt IT friend logged on and was unable to even make my two desktop PCs see one another. So how could they see a MyCloud?  The problem probably lies somewhere in Windows and networking, because a WD Passport HDD works perfectly fine for backups on USB. So I look in the mirror and say “It’s the network, stupid.” Next time: a Mac.