Smartware 1.3.0.16 crashes!

it was happned me too. this is my configuration:

windows XP Sp3

2 My Book essential  (1 TB each)  + WD Smartware v. 1.3.0.16

backup configuration:

on My Book - Drive N:      backup of C:  and    D:

on My Book - Drive O:      backup of L:

Both My Book are connected directly to USB port (not on USB hub)

all the source drivers are defragmented.

after few updates the program crashes with WDFME.Exe error

Thank you in advance for your help.

thank you Body

Following the installation of Microsoft’s KB982524 for XP and Server 2003 (distributed via autoupdate on Tuesday, Jume 22), the 1.3.0.16 crash issue is apparently resolved.

Version 1.2.1.26 was removed, the “WD SmartWare.swstor” folder was renamed to preserve its files, and the system was restarted.

The 1.3.0.16 verrsion was then installed and a backup taken. It has worked falwlessly since, and a significant performance improvement over the older version was noted.

More information on KB982524 may be found at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982524

YMMV.

Regards,

NetSmith

Even if I am not using/connecting my Passport SE drive, Smartware still using a fair chunk of my RAM and I still have to wait extra time for the Smartware doing its smart thing at the computer startup.

I do not want to use smartware for backup, but I still want to use its security function (eg.secure my passport SE drive  by a password) , I received an answer today from WD tech Support saying that I just need to uninstall the Smartware, then Smartware won’t load at startup but the Passport SE still have its security function
I am confused, I thought after removing the Smartware then 
no more Smartware, no more password function
Please tell me if the WD Tech is right ?

Thanks

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

ALREADY MY PROBLEM IS OKAY

EMELINT2K

Indeed
Smartware 1.3.0.16 does now load and operate OK.  So much better than the original software version
my cooling fan has stopped operating at 100% and returned to a modest speed.

After updating the new software I noticed a new backup folder was created on the external drive called WD Smartware.swstor. This was a addition to the pre-existing WD Smartware folder. It was not clear if both folders were now required for back-up recovery. So to be sure I went ahead and deleted both in hopes that one of the folders would re-create itself again once I performed a new full backup. Don’t do this
deleting both messed up everything so I had to uninstall, reboot, and re-install Smartware again to make the backup work again. After doing all of this
everything worked again and the only backup folder created was  WD Smartware.swstor. So for anyone else trying this
do not delete the WD Smartware.swstor folder when you’ve done the update. Not sure what will happen if you just delete the older WD Smartware folder.

So watch out
Inthedark

TONY33 -

They are probably correct, but I haven’t tried it. It appears it is the Virtual CD Manager (the WD SES device) that manages passwords, and a ‘standalone’ VCD Manager is avaialble at

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/utilitiesstep1.asp?id=wdfMP_SEEssential&os=win

It should not require SmartWare to be installed.

EMELINT2K -

Most welcome.

INTHEDARK -

The only folder 1.3.0.16 uses is the WD_SmartWare.swstor. Others may be deleted if desired, but keep in mind , they do contain some previous backup data.

It is not necessary to reinstall 1.3.0.16 if you delete WD_SmartWare.swstor. Simply open SmartWare, go to the Backup tab, and press Stop Backup. Then press Start Backup, and a new swstor folder will be created and a new backup taken to it.

In fact, you can  rename  WD_SmartWare.swstor (for instance, to WD_SmartWare.swstor.old) at any time, go to the Backup tab, stop then start backup. A new swstor folder will be created and a new backup taken, and you’ll still have the old folder as well.

NetSmith

i

t

Well I guess I was too early calling this a success. I now get the fatal error meesage and when I open Smartware it does not recognize that I have a back-up file. I tried re-booting but still does not see the back-up files.  Also the software settings change to save 1 version instead of 5 and detailed view in back-up screen has all the document save options unchecked. Anyone else getting this ? 

yes  have the same problem.

WD say just"connect the drive and it will start bcking up."

it does not

all the detailed view files are now unchecked, the number of backups has reverted to 1 and if i try and change and apply nothing happens. 

help please!!..i have bought 3 of these My Passort essential 160GB

As I’m unable to recreate the described problem, the recommendation is to insure current furmware, an updated .NET, and a ‘clean install’ of SmartWare.

Open SmarWare and go to the Settings tab. Click Set Up Drive, and check the firmware version in the “About Your Drive” section on the lower left. It should be 2.003.

Go to your Windows Update History and verify that KB982525 installed successfully. if you do not use Automatic Update, or if you are unsure, you can find the update at  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982524. If it is already installed, the update will install again anyway. It searches for and corrects various errors in .NET.

Disconnect the drive, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall SmartWare. Restart the system.

Reconnect the drive, give Windows a few minutes to deal with the new hardware, and install the standalone updater from http://download.wdc.com/smartware/WDSmartWare_SoftwareUpdater_for_Windows_1_3_0_16a.zip

NetSmith

thank you.

already the problems is okay.

thank you

the problem alrady is okay

thank you

the problem already is okay

Bonjour,

Qu’en est il des utilisateutrs sous windows 7 ?

Hi,

How does the Update works under Windows 7 ?

ps : Sorry for my English

Marius-Charles,

The update applies only to Windows XP and Server 2003.

Regards,

NetSmith

I have experienced the same crashes with SmartWare and submitted a support ticket.  I received prompt replies, and these indicated there is a conflict with Roxio (I use 2009 Creator) and the solution was to completely uninstall SmartWare.

Ian “Gizmo” Richards ( www.techsupportalert.com/) freeware website included a recommendation for PureSync which I downloaded and installed.  Surprisingly as I was uninstalled SmartWare and preparing to install PureSync a messages said that a SmartWare installation was running. I wonder if PureSync and SmartWare have similiar/the same code?

I’ve been running PureSync (free version) now for a week without any crashes or problems, and I’ll probably purchase the “pro” version that encrypts and backs up / synchronizes while a file is open (free version does neither).

I love WD and ONLY purchase their internal and external drives.  But, I’m disappointed with the release of software that conflicts with such a major player as Roxio.

Just thought I’d pass this possible solution on.

Ed 

Still having problems with this update.

1. Windows XP SP3.

2. DotNet Framework 3.5 SP1 and KB982524 installed.

3. Drive firmware 2.003.

4. While running the installation of v1.3.0.16, I can see a Western Digital folder is created and files are being installed.

5. At the end of the install, the folder is gone again and the process ends with NO version of SmartWare installed!

Where is the install log? Wasting a lot of time with this

Instead of wasting more time I suggest you return it or sell it and get a new drive from a different brand. That’s what I am forced to do. Even if you end up having to sell it used, you lose maybe $10-20. Well you can easily make $10-20 in the time it takes to stress over this unnecessary software.

I am having the same problem. Followed all the advice in this thread, .Net Framework is up to date, uninstalled WD Smartware, disconnect drive, rebooted, installed WD Smartware using the Updater, still crashes immediately upon launching.

WD, thanks for breaking my drive. What are you going to do about it?

I can’t event go back to the previous version - have to run on the orginal that came with the drive.