SMART documentation for WD Elements

Hello,

I am a happy owner of two WD Elements drives (Device Model: WDC WD20NMVW-11AV3S0).

I’m monitoring their health status via smartmontools software on Linux. As we all know interpreting SMART values is often possible only in the context of vendor defined rules. So, my question is where can I see official WD reference for interpreting SMART data?

Ivan

Try the following article:

Understanding S.M.A.R.T. and S.M.A.R.T. failure and errors

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/251

Hello,

I had seen that page before, but it’s not what I’m looking for. As it stand, WD Elements 1048 (marketed as WD Element External USB drive; Device model: WDC WD20NMVW-11AV3S0) drives are not currently in smartmontools database. I’ve submitted the appropriate information to upstream for developers to include it in the program’s drives DB. However, it is commong knowledge that interpretation of some SMART Attributes are vendor specifc and WD is not exception to this notion. Therefore, my question is where I could see an authoritative reference information regarding the readings/interpreation of SMART Attributes that these drvies are reporting via SMART facility?

Ivan