Slow Wifi Speeds for My Cloud connected to Time Capsule (Mac)

I’m trying to identify my speed issue with a recently purchased WD My Cloud - 6TB. I’ve spent the past two weeks testing and re-testing everything based on what I can find here and other places. Though I’ve seen similar issues, I haven’t seen a setup matching mine to truly compare. I’m hoping that someone here will have an idea, suggestion or solution. All I do know is that my connection to the drive is ridiculously slow.

Setup:

TWC Cable Ultimate - 100/5 Mbps (bumps to Maxx 300/20 by the end of this month) >

Cable Modem - Arris/Motorola sb6813 >

Apple Time Capsule (6th Gen, Latest) - 802.11ac/Gigabit Ethernet LAN >

WD My Cloud - 6TB

The connection between the modem, the router and the NAS are all CAT 5e.  My Cloud is using the box provided cord. I’ve tried a couple of CAT 7 cords but My Cloud reverts to 100 Mbps when using them. The TC gets a bit wonky using it as well. 

Home WiFi connection is strong throughout the house with 100+ Mbps being registered in most rooms according to DSLReports whether 3 feet from the setup or 20 feet away in another room down the hall.  

All LEDs check out on My Cloud. Back is green, front is blue. Both are stable and solid.

When I run a BlackMagic Speed Test to the Time Capsule Drive I get 25-28 MB/s for Write. I get the same result when I run the test for the USB 2.0 LaCie drive connected to the USB port of the Time Capsule. The LaCie is 5200 rpm and 5 years old.

When I run a BM test to the My Cloud it registers between 15-18 MB/s for Write. A little less for any USB 3.0 drive connected to it.

Why would a 5 year drive connected via USB 2.0 to the router get faster write speeds than the My Cloud connected the the same router via gigabit ethernet connection?  I’ve also tested this on all three ethernet ports on the Time Capsule.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Narziss wrote:

Setup:

TWC Cable Ultimate - 100/5 Mbps (bumps to Maxx 300/20 by the end of this month) >

Cable Modem - Arris/Motorola sb6813 >

Apple Time Capsule (6th Gen, Latest) - 802.11ac/Gigabit Ethernet LAN >

WD My Cloud - 6TB

Pretty good background information – but you didn’t mention what type of computer you’re using.

If it’s a Mac, what method are you using to connect to these drives in testing?   (In other words, which protocol?  AFP or Samba?)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Pretty good background information – but you didn’t mention what type of computer you’re using.

If it’s a Mac, what method are you using to connect to these drives in testing?   (In other words, which protocol?  AFP or Samba?)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Good question. I imagine whatever the default would be because I’m not sure what either are or where to find that info.

Looks like afp as that’s what pops up when I bring up the Connect To Server window.

You might try Samba (SMB)…

1 Like

try smb by prefixing your connect to server with smb:// or to ensure afp try afp://

smb://WDMyCloud/public <== your cloud device name and share name

smb://WDMyCloud/My_Book  <=== usb drive connected to cloud

or to ensure afp try…

afp://192.168.0.15 <=== your cloud ip

Actually your speeds are not too bad considering. The difference in protocols, drive formats and those tiny CPUs in both the router and your Cloud are the determining factor in speed.

Also remember to use a single large file like a movie of 800 MB in size to test your copy speeds. Don’t bother with small file copying as the speeds are always terrible even with direct USB copying.

1 Like

smb seems to be the solution for speed. Thank you all.

Now I’m just working on a flawless method to keep it auto mounted on start up and wake up. Adding the shares to my login items pops up each finder window. I’ve been working with Automator but it only gets me so far. It will connect My Cloud but it will ask which share to mount. I want to auto mount each share.

On Windows, you just click the ‘re-connect at startup’ check box.

I’m sure that “it just works” Apple software must do something similar…