Slow transfer speeds WD Mycloud 4TB

Hi there,

This seems to be quite a common problem from what I am reading but one I can not seem to resolve.

Here is my setup:

4TB WD My Cloud connected to:

Virgin Media Superhub

With the supplied ethernet cable

Laptop with gigabit ethernet (confirmed in network settings)

Connected to Virgin Media Superhub via Cat5e cable. (Tried multiple cables)

I have no antivirus. I have tried disabling Windows Firewall. I have tried disabling the firewall on the router.

I have set WD My Cloud to have a static IP both in the WD My Cloud settings (via ip) and in the router settings.

Upgraded firmware to the latest (v04.00.00-607)

Mapped shared drive on WD My Cloud to laptop.

Max transfer speeds of 3MB per second.

I’ve been trying to copy my data onto this for a week now using standard windows copy and Microsoft synctoy and I haven’t even copied 1TB yet.

I am able to copy between my desktop and laptop over the network much faster.

Can someone please help as my research leads me to beleive my transfer speeds should be much, much higher.

I am tempted to return the device as it seems much to slow for my requirements.

Thanks,

Brent

I had a similar problem with my 4TB model. At one point the transfer stopped with an error message after about 6 hours. Not knowing where the fault began, I cleaned out that share (with some difficulty. Another story!) before continuing.

At WD’s suggestion I connected the drive directly to the computer, in my case a MacBook Pro. I also turned off WiFi and shut down all applicaitions so it had only one job to do. The transfer then worked like a charm. I was able to load it up with all my data, about 500 G total.

One thing I do notice about this drive is that its response time performance (mounting shares, opening the Quick View Dashboard) becomes very slow after a large data transfer. Best to reboot the drive from the Dashboard whenever you transfer a few 10’s of GB or more. In fact, if you’re loading it up for the first time, I would shut it right down, unplug it, give it a rest and then start it up again. Then leave it alone for about 6 hours while it does whatever it does while it scans the drive contents for the first time. After that its performance seems resonsably acceptable, though Dashboard updates are often much slower than I think they should be.

1 Like

I’m getting to notice this. I’ve ordered a new router because that is the only place in the chain where I can see there could be an issue. I think it’s a long shot but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I’ll report back.

When you connected your drive directly was it simply via your Ethernet cable or did you need a crossover cable?

Do you then still access it via it’s ip?

Cheers

Brent

Right,

I have connected it directly via Ethernet.

Set my IP address and subnet range the same as the static ip I have the my cloud and am transferring.

Speeds of around 30-40MB per second!

Finally what I would actually expect.

Obviously this is still no good if I can’t get good speed around my network but at least I can get all my data on the device now.

I’m hoping my new router will fix my network problems on Monday.

Thanks wluncsher for your suggestion. Sounds like you have had the same experience to me.

Half way there now!

Brent

sounds like you on the way.

Also take note, that transfer speed is also limited by how fast your destination disk can handle … and 30-40 mb is usually the limit on usb2 external drives. My newish local pc drive, while not fast, is limited to ~80MB per second from network. Test actual speed from nas with a ram drive or solid state drive on gigabit network. Also, lots of small files means lot more work for the nas o/s which isn’t geared up for this, its more suited to large files (movies, mp3 etc).

I’ve also been reading about alot of issues of nas speed, and I have experienced it myself, except it wasnt my nas drive, even though it look like it was. I checked this via ssh onto the nas to view running processes, there were none… this was strange, it was very laggy in response to file navigation, I couldn’t explain why. In the end I reset my laptop wifi connection and reconnected to my wifi, and the speed from the nas was normal again. So the fault was my wifi and router in this case.

Now I know there are some issues with wmserver and wdphotodbmergerd processes running on the nas comsuing cpu, I have disabled them via ssh. They are effectively useless, and I think they have a memory leak or bug  as they used to hang my nas when it was in sleep mode. When I disabled them, the hang from sleep stopped occuring… mind you this is on 3.4 firmware, and I’m not heading to version 4 anytime soon considering the issues people have.

But this I’m trying to make is dont be to quick to blame the nas, its more than likely your network… especially over wifi or internet.

You’re welcome! I’ve been so frustrated with the performance of this device that I’m glad to pass on my lessons learned. It’s main saving grace is the ease of access when away from home either from a laptop or iPad, and streaming to my PS3 works really well.

Clearly you are underway with your transfer, but for the benefit of others reading:

I used a short, straight ethernet 5e cable, not crossover. Apple hardware seems to be able to sense cable polarity, not sure if that is true of all PCs. At the time I used DHCP and let the computer set the IP address. I’ve since swtiched to static IP since it seems to improve connectivity speed.

Internally, on my home network, I use a Linksys Gigabit switch for wired connectivity with the router only controlling IP assignments and wireless. Sometimes that worked really well for data transfers, other times it crawled. Hence, if you’re transfering a lot of data I would recommend a direct connection. That was consistently fast.

Also, there may be something to the remark that many small files are harder on the NAS than a few large ones. Mine is a real-life mix typically involving more than 10,000 files per share. That may be why it requires a rest of many hours after a transfer for the NAS to be truly usable.

rubikcubic wrote:

sounds like you on the way.

Also take note, that transfer speed is also limited by how fast your destination disk can handle … and 30-40 mb is usually the limit on usb2 external drives. My newish local pc drive, while not fast, is limited to ~80MB per second from network. Test actual speed from nas with a ram drive or solid state drive on gigabit network. Also, lots of small files means lot more work for the nas o/s which isn’t geared up for this, its more suited to large files (movies, mp3 etc).

I’ve also been reading about alot of issues of nas speed, and I have experienced it myself, except it wasnt my nas drive, even though it look like it was. I checked this via ssh onto the nas to view running processes, there were none… this was strange, it was very laggy in response to file navigation, I couldn’t explain why. In the end I reset my laptop wifi connection and reconnected to my wifi, and the speed from the nas was normal again. So the fault was my wifi and router in this case.

Now I know there are some issues with wmserver and wdphotodbmergerd processes running on the nas comsuing cpu, I have disabled them via ssh. They are effectively useless, and I think they have a memory leak or bug  as they used to hang my nas when it was in sleep mode. When I disabled them, the hang from sleep stopped occuring… mind you this is on 3.4 firmware, and I’m not heading to version 4 anytime soon considering the issues people have.

But this I’m trying to make is dont be to quick to blame the nas, its more than likely your network… especially over wifi or internet.

Your own network is the first place to start.  But, once you’ve gone through all that you will still be faced with the wmserver and wdphotodbmergerd scanning issues.  I’ve been down this road - I did some work tuning my WIFI config, network drivers, etc.  I tried wired ethernet vs. WIFI.  Wired ethernet will always yield faster transfer speeds but a properly “tuned” WIFI N network will perform in the 10-15MB range IF the WD My Cloud is not actively scanning.  I’m still trying to work with WD support to provide a solution that does not void the warranty.  Disabling the wmserver and wdphotodbmergerd processes will void your warranty.