Slow transfer speeds between NAS and windows 7 laptop(s) - I’ve tried using 2 seperate laptops. Currently my maximum transfer speed is around 6MB/s - when the drive is apparently capable of up to 40MB/s
When no other device is using the network, I have obtained transfer speeds between 1MB/s minimum to 6MB/s maximum. The current setup I have, I believe I should be able to obtain ~4x the current transfer speed when running at when at the maximum seen speed (6MB/s).
Cabling: [2x] 8m (or less…) cat5e RJ-45 Ethernet cables (I have tested a combination of 3 cables with identical spec’s - no change in speed.)
Router: Asus RT-56U
NAS: _ _Western Digital My Cloud.
_ Driver / Firmware versions: _ I am running the latest drivers on my laptop and the latest firmware version on both the NAS and the router.
Disclaimer regarding networking speed: (so I know the router AND the laptop CAN handle much higher networking speeds…)
For the purposes of this post I shall be using the laptop with best networking specifications which manages the following connection speeds through the router listed above using www.speedtest.net
Ethernet (Laptop => router)
Wireless (Laptop => router)
Current setup for the purposes of best performance possible at the moment:
I am using the wired connection to connect to the NAS as follows:
NAS <=> Router <=> Laptop
My internet connection is setup as follows:
Internet <=> Modem* <=> Router <=> Laptop
*My Modem only has 1 gigabit ethernet port so this is the reason I am using the router. (the router is connected using the single gigabit ethernet port on the Modem)
I have tried:
- New / different combinations of Cat5e Ethernet cables
- All combinations of ports on the router
- A different NAS! (The current one I have is a replacement for one believed to be defective with the same issue I have now, however it’s unlikely that this issue is going to occur exactly the same with two different drives…)
- I’m starting to think there is a setting in my router or Laptop(s) which is throttling the transfer between the NAS and the Laptop.
- To increase the transfer speed between NAS <=> Windows 7 Laptop to around 20-25 MB/s transfer speed… I’d be happy with this considering the speeds I’ve seen today listed in my problem at the top…