Slow transfer speeds from Windows 7 <=> My Cloud - any suggestions?

My Problem:

Slow transfer speeds between NAS and windows 7 laptop(s) - I’ve tried using 2 seperate laptops. Currently my maximum transfer speed is around 6MB/s - when the drive is apparently capable of up to 40MB/s

When no other device is using the network, I have obtained transfer speeds between 1MB/s minimum to 6MB/s maximum. The current setup I have, I believe I should be able to obtain ~4x the current transfer speed when running at when at the maximum seen speed (6MB/s).

My Hardware:

Cabling: [2x] 8m (or less…) cat5e RJ-45 Ethernet cables (I have tested a combination of 3 cables with identical spec’s - no change in speed.)

Router:   Asus RT-56U

NAS: _ _Western Digital My Cloud.

_ Driver / Firmware versions: _ I am running the latest drivers on my laptop and the latest firmware version on both the NAS and the router.

Disclaimer regarding networking speed: (so I know the router AND the laptop CAN handle much higher networking speeds…)

For the purposes of this post I shall be using the laptop with best networking specifications which manages the following connection speeds through the router listed above using www.speedtest.net

Ethernet (Laptop => router)

_   _

Wireless (Laptop => router)

_   _

Current setup for the purposes of best performance possible at the moment:

I am using the wired connection to connect to the NAS as follows:

NAS <=> Router <=> Laptop

My internet connection is setup as follows:

Internet <=> Modem* <=> Router <=> Laptop

*My Modem only has 1 gigabit ethernet port so this is the reason I am using the router. (the router is connected using the single gigabit ethernet port on the Modem)

I have tried:

• New / different combinations of Cat5e Ethernet cables
  • All combinations of ports on the router
  • A different NAS! (The current one I have is a replacement for one believed to be defective with the same issue I have now, however it’s unlikely that this issue is going to occur exactly the same with two different drives…)
  • I’m starting to think there is a setting in my router or Laptop(s) which is throttling the transfer between the NAS and the Laptop.

Aims:

• To increase the transfer speed between NAS <=> Windows 7 Laptop to around 20-25 MB/s transfer speed… I’d be happy with this considering the speeds I’ve seen today listed in my problem at the top…

turn off the wifi or disable it when testing with the ethernet. From the above test, it looks like both tests are going thru the wifi.

ItsssJustice wrote:

My Problem:

Slow transfer speeds between NAS and windows 7 laptop(s) - I’ve tried using 2 seperate laptops. Currently my maximum transfer speed is around 6MB/s - when the drive is apparently capable of up to 40MB/s

When no other device is using the network, I have obtained transfer speeds between 1MB/s minimum to 6MB/s maximum. The current setup I have, I believe I should be able to obtain ~4x the current transfer speed when running at when at the maximum seen speed (6MB/s).

My Hardware:

Cabling: [2x] 8m (or less…) cat5e RJ-45 Ethernet cables (I have tested a combination of 3 cables with identical spec’s - no change in speed.)

Router:   Asus RT-56U

NAS: _ _Western Digital My Cloud.

_ Driver / Firmware versions: _ I am running the latest drivers on my laptop and the latest firmware version on both the NAS and the router.

Disclaimer regarding networking speed: (so I know the router AND the laptop CAN handle much higher networking speeds…)

For the purposes of this post I shall be using the laptop with best networking specifications which manages the following connection speeds through the router listed above using www.speedtest.net

Current setup for the purposes of best performance possible at the moment:

I am using the wired connection to connect to the NAS as follows:

NAS <=> Router <=> Laptop

My internet connection is setup as follows:

Internet <=> Modem* <=> Router <=> Laptop

*My Modem only has 1 gigabit ethernet port so this is the reason I am using the router. (the router is connected using the single gigabit ethernet port on the Modem)

I have tried:

• New / different combinations of Cat5e Ethernet cables
  • All combinations of ports on the router
  • A different NAS! (The current one I have is a replacement for one believed to be defective with the same issue I have now, however it’s unlikely that this issue is going to occur exactly the same with two different drives…)
  • I’m starting to think there is a setting in my router or Laptop(s) which is throttling the transfer between the NAS and the Laptop.

Aims:

• To increase the transfer speed between NAS <=> Windows 7 Laptop to around 20-25 MB/s transfer speed… I’d be happy with this considering the speeds I’ve seen today listed in my problem at the top…

I suggest to first check the LED lights close to the ethernet connectors:

One sould be solid green and the other blinking when traffic occurs.

You must check this on all cable ends - also at the switch.

Then I would check transfer speed beween your two laptops connected to your LAN.

This will establish that your basic hardware works as expected.

After that you can measure transfer speed from each of these two laptops toward your MyCloud.

Honored Contributors like TonyPh12345 report to easily get 80 MB/s.

Please report all these measurements, thank you.

I have turned off the wifi when testing from the ethernet.

Attached below is a screenshot of my network as it transfers files from laptop => NAS. Just to clarify, the fact that I am copying a large amount of files doesn’t seem to make a difference to the speed, copying a single 4GB file earlier was actually transfering slower!

Using your 2 laptops, create a network share on one laptop and copy a file from the other laptop to that share. Connect both laptops with Ethernet. Measure the speed. What do you get?

Both the Laptops are connected at gigabit ethernet speeds according to task manager. My router manual states that it relies on an orange LED on to state that the connection is running at gigabit speeds. This has been the case since the start with both laptops when using cat5e cables between each connection to the router.

The flashing LED works as expected - flashes when there is network traffic between the laptop and the router.

Transfering laptop <=> laptop is something I don’t really know how to setup. I can see the other devices on the network but don’t really understand the whole username / password stuff, as using an account on that PC won’t let me access the files - the addition of the domain to the username confuses me (being completely honest… ) why can’t I connect just using the username / password of a user of the second laptop?

I get how to make shared folders but I have no clue how to make an account that is allowed to access them - until I can find a website explaining how to do this in full, I have no clue what I’m doing regarding this unfortunatly.

ItsssJustice wrote:> Transfering laptop <=> laptop is something I don’t really know how to setup. I can see the other devices on the network but don’t really understand the whole username / password stuff, as using an account on that PC won’t let me access the files - the addition of the domain to the username confuses me (being completely honest… ) why can’t I connect just using the username / password of a user of the second laptop?

On laptop A you have a certain user account you log in by name and its password.

When you start your laptop B then you can see the laptop A and start a connection with it. You get asked for a user name and type the same name you use on laptop A plus the password for it.

This will allow you to have a share from laptop B to your laptop A.

You can now copy and paste a file from B to your share on A and report the speed you get.

Connect both laptops to the network and boot them up.

From Laptop A, open “network”. If you don’t see that icon on your desktop, right click anywhere on the desktop, choose personalize, desktop icons, check “network”.

In the network window, you should see laptop B

Double click laptop B and any folder you see available.

If you don’t see any folder on Laptop B, go to laptop B, go C:\Users\Public, right click on “shared documents”, choose properties, Go to the sharing tab, and share this folder (it is typically shared by default by windows unless you have turned off certain network file and sharing settings).