Slow Transfer Speed over USB

OK, so I put things together.

PC is sata 2. I can achieve usb3 drive<->mycloud<->pc  62MB/s R, 42MBs W.

But ultimately the usb drive is for backup and so did a test mycloud<->usb drive. Usb drive is 3 TB NTFS formatted (GPT). The resutls were disappointing and I get like 38-42 MB/s. So I went inside mycloud to make sure that I am connected via usb 3.0 and yep it is:

[107111.535613] usb 2-1: new SuperSpeed USB device number 9 using xhci-hcd   <------  USB3.0

I could not figure out why it is slow and it seesm that the USB port is stuck at 2.0 and then I thought maybe the filesystem (All Linuxes are not very good at r/w to NTFS).

So I formatted the drive to Linux ext3 and sure enough I got 66-90 MB/s (mycloud<->usb drive), this is consistent. I did like 10 tests. I used the usual, mycloud app to do copying.

Now it is doing safepoint of 100GB. at the rate of 1GB/minute…  (all that copying/reading/verifying I guess).

So why some are getting bad speed?

Actully my enclosure is just a USB 3.0 docking station (I know I am cheap)  with 3TB SATA 3 drive.

Leaving the drive formatted as NTFS should get you 38-43 MB/s.

HTH

hello everybody, unfortunately i’m having the same issue like you.

this is my current system configuration:

1. laptop vaio, with windows 8.1.1 64 bit, equipped with gigabit ethernet card inside which is connected by 5e cable to the modem/router;

2. wd my cloud 3tb (latest firmware installed), directly connected to the router by original wd ethernet cable;

3. wd my book 3tb (usb 3.0, latest firmware installed), directly connected on the rear usb 3.0 port of my cloud by original wd usb 3.0 cable;

4. modem/router asus dsl-n66u (latest firmware installed).

well, i started yesterday at 5:00pm creation of my first safepoint (by device control panel, through ie11). at the moment, it means after around 24h, only 320gb (of 1.3tb total) were copied on my book… :((( where am i wrong? it’s so frustrating…

thank you beforehand for helping, cheers from italy!

any idea/suggestion?

chiapparo wrote:

any idea/suggestion?

What is wrong with Windows file manager? If yuo don’t trust it , try one of these

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-manager.htm

Sometime ago I used Unreal Commander. Was good and fast.

Now I only use Windows file Manager (If I can use the builtin features of the OS I rather not install a a3rd party software).

jamalaya wrote:

chiapparo wrote:

any idea/suggestion?

What is wrong with Windows file manager? If yuo don’t trust it , try one of these

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-manager.htm

Sometime ago I used Unreal Commander. Was good and fast.

Now I only use Windows file Manager (If I can use the builtin features of the OS I rather not install a a3rd party software).

HAHAHA , Just noticed I replied to the wrong post.:smiley:

chiapparo wrote:

any idea/suggestion?

Chiapparo,

You need to narrow it down.

Test yuor laptop here www.speedtest.net.

1. if good and close very close to your ISP then that leaves the router and wdmycloud

2. do tests on mycloud/ext usb3 (use large files 1gig+ ) (upload/download)

3. if you have a connected pc, do same tests as well for comparison

4. post results.

A lot of thing affect speeds, the most important ones are the HDD.  Sata 3, Sata 2 etc … becasue you cannot read/write faster than what the HDD can handle.

HTH

We need a firmware fix asap! 6megs/second is too slow to be usb 3.0

This month (July 2014) I purchased a WD MyCloud and a WD MyBook, both 3TB. I bought the MyBook specifically to back up the MyCloud. The MyBook is hardwired to the MyCloud via the included dual USB 2.0/3.0 cable. The MyCloud is hardwired (ethernet) to my router. All firmware is up to date.  It took 31.5 hours to create a SafePoint of 1.1TB of data - about 9.7 MB/s. Roughly a third of the data was video, the rest was typical pc data. The MyCloud is model WDBCTL0030HWT-NESN and the MyBook is model WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN. I have an active case with tech service, asking them why the rate is so slow. I have not received a response. I didn’t know this was a outstanding issue until this morning when I discovered this forum.

I haven’t yet had experience with the rate during an auto update of the SafePoint or a restore. Any data out there on these operations?

I also hooked up a drive (1tb samsung usb powered thing) to make a **bleep**point back up, its was connected for about 8 hours and showed 0% and 0kbps. I unmounted the drive and plug it into my computer and it had been doing its thing and had backed up about 300gb. So it looks like the interface doesn’t recored whats going on as it shoud.

UPDATE: Pluged the drive back in and after a while it carried on doing the safepoint but the progress bar jumped to where it should be.

I seem to be having the same issue witha newly purchased 3TB My CLoud and a 1TB Passport Ultra, very very slow in moving files from the Passport onto the My Cloud, only bought it because I thought it’d go a lot quicker than through my skyhub!

I am astounded at how slow these drives are.  I now have a 4TB MyCloud with a 4TB MyBook attached, and I am trying to move data from the MyBook to the MyCloud.  Since writing via the network is slow, I thought it would be better to load the MyBook up with the data I want and then move it to the MyCloud with the USB 3.0 connection.  I think a wired USB 2.0 connection between the MyBook, a host computer and the router to the MyCloud is actually faster.  I’ve haven’t seen such pokey speeds since Windows/386.  Both indexing services are turned off.

Setup is FreeFileSync, running on a wirelessly connected laptop, directing the transfer between the two drives.  EDIT: I thought data would not be moving via the network with this setup.  However, a look at firewall traffic indicates that a LOT of data is moving via the network.  Huh?  How can this be?  The current write speed is… wait for it… About 800 KB/sec. Give or take.  Am I in the bell curve?  I could spend a lifetime doing this.  Ports are forwarded, UPnP is on (ugh), etc., etc., etc.

I’ve never seen anything like this.  What’s the point of USB 3.0 when USB 1.0 will do?  And why is anything other than pointers moving over the network when the drives are wired directly to each other?  In an age where files are large and there’s a lot of them, this isn’t what I expected.

1 Like

Hey,

Been searching around the net for a solution etc but none found.

I also got the 4TB MyCloud with a 3TB MyBook connected to the USB, because I thought this would go very fast, but I only get speeds around 2 MB/s which is extremly slow?

Does anybody know a solution to this problem already please?

Well, here’s an update.  I’ve looked at transfer speeds with two more ways of doing it.  I don’t have a Gigabit ethernet router, I run an old WRT54G router modded with Tomato.  So absolute max thoughput on one port would be maybe, what, 12 MB a second?

From the last post, where the two drives were connected via the USB ports and I was commanding the transfer wirelessly, I got the awful results already described.  And based upon my discovery that the transfer is happening via the network, this makes sense.  The laptop is quite far away from the router, and transmit rates from it to the router are slow.

Second method, tried today was both drives connected via USB 3.0 as they were before, but this time, the copy commanded with a hardwired machine.  Was able to get maybe 6-7 MB/sec.  Better, but still not anything near what I expect.  The data is definitely being flung around the network, I can’t figure out what the USB port on the MyCloud actually does, other than allowing you a convenient way to turn another USB drive into a really slow share.

Second method was more interesting.  I disconnected the MyBook from the MyCloud, plugged it into the wired machine (USB 2.0), and of course left the MyCloud on the network.  I did the same transfer, and data rate climbed to 11.0 MB/sec, which is what I would expect.

So at this point, it would appear that the USB port on the MyCloud is either somehow not implemented correctly or was never intended to deliver anything near USB 3.0 speeds, which just doesn’t make any sense at all.  Why bother with 3.0?  Or 2.0, for that matter?   I would expect it to act just like any other USB drive and don’t understand why data is being moved via the network connection instead of via it.  I also don’t understand why the first method would be slower than the second method.

you will only get the full USB speed by doing a safepoint in the user interface. otherwise the copy is going through your computer.

one possiable option is to use the mycloud mobil app. I don’t have an external drive connected to test it but file copies within the mycloud are being handled internal to the mycloud, not transfering to the mobil device like it will will WIndows and probably Mac

I haven’t tried creating a safepoint yet, as I am still trying to get all of the data I want onto the MyCloud, so I can’t verify speed for that operation yet.  Just trying to get data onto the drive has been a multi-day operation, and I am still not finished.  What’s frustrating is that I’m ultimately going to be using only about 400 GB when I’m done, which is why this speed issue is so irritating.   Can’t imagine how long it would take at this rate to theoretically fill the drive to near capacity.   But yes, I’ve verified that ordinary transfers indeed go through the network.  And this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Why would a safepoint transfer be any different than an ordinary copy operation? A file is a file is a file.

This is rather like having the air intake for your auto in the engine compartment for occasional use but having a thin tube go into the passenger compartment for most of the operation of the car.  What?  We have a USB 3.0 connection between two drives.  This should be a no-brainer.

And why would transfers with the USB-USB connection be even slower than transfers via pure network?  There has to be something going on.

MrPink wrote:

I haven’t tried creating a safepoint yet, as I am still trying to get all of the data I want onto the MyCloud, so I can’t verify speed for that operation yet.  Just trying to get data onto the drive has been a multi-day operation, and I am still not finished.  What’s frustrating is that I’m ultimately going to be using only about 400 GB when I’m done, which is why this speed issue is so irritating.   Can’t imagine how long it would take at this rate to theoretically fill the drive to near capacity.   But yes, I’ve verified that ordinary transfers indeed go through the network.  And this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Why would a safepoint transfer be any different than an ordinary copy operation? A file is a file is a file. The safepoint sends a command to the mycloud to execute the process, it does not run on the PC. The Android mycloud app does the same thing but I am not sure how it handles a USB attached drive

This is rather like having the air intake for your auto in the engine compartment for occasional use but having a thin tube go into the passenger compartment for most of the operation of the car.  What?  We have a USB 3.0 connection between two drives.  This should be a no-brainer.

And why would transfers with the USB-USB connection be even slower than transfers via pure network?  There has to be something going on. Not sure what you mean here, if you attach a USB drive to the mycloud and use a PC to copy the files to the mycloud it copies the files from the USB drive to the PC then back to the mycloud, this is not an issue  with the mycloud but the way PCs work. attaching the USB drive to the PC should be slightly faster.

another possiable issue is what types of files are you copying? especially aproximatly how many pictures? lots of pictures can really bring the device to its knees.

if this is an issue and you are at all comfortable using SSH the commands below will help with the picture issues

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

@LarryG:

The services are turned off already, via SSH.  So photos, videos, whatever aren’t being indexed.  Transfer speeds of lots of small files is a little slower than larger files, but not by much.

So what you are saying is that  there’s actually additional overhead when we transfer files via USB-USB because the MyCloud gets the file from the additional drive via USB, sends it over the network to the PC and the PC then returns the file to the MyCloud.  Correct?

If that is indeed correct, this is positively retarded.  We have a fully-functional computer and drive known as the MyCloud, and it isn’t smart enough to be the man-in-the-middle and parse a command to copy between itself and a directly connected drive?

If there is some fundamental limitation I don’t understand that keeps this from working the way I would expect (and that’s entirely possible when it comes to a moron like me) that means this can’t ever work, then WD needs to write an application that can do copies via the safepoint mechanism and bypass the ordinary Windows copy operation.  It would need to be some type of browser-acessible or dedicated file-manager-ish app that runs in the MyCloud that would allow you to see both drives and perform an internal copy operation.

using a PC to copy from a USB drive on the mycloud to the mycloud internal drive will copy the files to your PC and back. the same thing would happen if you had another PC on the network and tried to copy from 1 disk or location to another from your PC

Have you tried the the WD mycloud mobil app? if it sees the USB drive the copy will stay on the mycloud and be much faster. the difference is having your computer do the copy or telling the mycloud to do the copy wich Windows can’t do.

If you are familier with Linux the copy could also be done directly on the mycloud

Hmz so when I do a copy it always goes from USB to PC to the MyCloud? Why is this?

Is there a way around this so I can copy directly from the USB to the MyCloud please?

1 Like