Slow streaming over the network using N900 router to WD TV Live. Please help

The setup:

WD N900 router with 1TB WD My Book external hard drive connected via router port in office

2 WD TV Live - one in the family room and one in the bedroom connected wirelessly

I just purchased the N900 router in an attempt to connect my house wirelessly and avoid having to carry the hard drive room to room all the time. I went through the standard setup for the router with no problems and my WD TV Live units have access to the content stored on the external hard drive. I have not done anything else beyond the standard setup, not sure if I need to.

The issue:

The issue is that it’s painfully slow. It takes 5 mins before a 500MB TV show will start streaming and even when it does the picture is degraded. I’ve been unsuccessful even getting an HD movie to play (ie. 1-4GB).

Am I missing somehting in the setup? How can I get the movies to stream faster and at the quality they should be? Thanks in advance for the help, I’m really hoping someone can help me get this working they way it should.

Make sure that you have the latest firmware in both devices and enter the advance setting on the  router and turn off the fast track option.  just to test the units…

Chillin250 wrote:

The issue:

The issue is that it’s painfully slow. It takes 5 mins before a 500MB TV show will start streaming and even when it does the picture is degraded. I’ve been unsuccessful even getting an HD movie to play (ie. 1-4GB).

Am I missing somehting in the setup? How can I get the movies to stream faster and at the quality they should be? Thanks in advance for the help, I’m really hoping someone can help me get this working they way it should.

What exactly do you mean by “degraded”, is it freezing or are you just refering to the picture quality.

If it’s the later, and your are connected via HDMI, make sure that the settings are correct.  If it’s set to Auto, try changing it to 1080p 60Hz and see if that improves the quality.

As for HD movies, you are not going to have good results trying to play those over the wireless, this has nothing to do with your router.  It is best to be wired to play those.

“As for HD movies, you are not going to have good results trying to play those over the wireless, this has nothing to do with your router.  It is best to be wired to play those.”

Nonsense, I stream  Bluray HD files all the time over wifi via a cheap Linksys E2000. If you have a N router and follow the instructions in the manual to insure that you are connecting to the WDTV over N you should be fine. 

1 Like