Slow slow performance after WDMYCLOUD firmware upgrade 4.00.00-607

BigMoe:

You mention turning Media server back on and “WD Mylive streamer”

I’m using WD TV Live Streaming and have media serving OFF on all shares, DLNA Media Server OFF and iTunes OFF.

Interesting … when I had then turned off I could not find it either under Media Servers or Windows Shares.  Where do you find the media files on the WD MyLive?

thanks,

I’ m seeing My Cloud as a Windows Share along with the computers on my LAN. If My Cloud not showing up you might try rebooting your router.

Don’t know if it makes a difference but I’ve “reserved” IP addresses on my router for all devices on my LAN.

OK, thanks for that info.  I don;t think the reserved (static) IP addresses should matter (I have one for the MyCloud but not for the MyLive) but I’ll set that up … probably a good idea anyways.

I will say that a day after I have finsihed all the mass copying to my drive and the MyCloud has been able to scan everything, performance for accessing media files is now fine. Of course if ever I have to copy a large amount of files again I will have the same performance problem … so I really hope WD will fix this buggy release.

Thanks all

week passed
the problem is not passed

WD… wake up …

Same problems here.
I guess I’m at least a small bit relieved to know that it’s not just me or my environment.
Holy **bleep**, this thing is SLOW.

I just bought mine a few days ago.

It was already bad enough before the firmware upgrade…taking WAY WAY WAY too long to transfer files to it…way too long to access it via SMB share from Windows 8.1…way too long to boot it up from ‘off’…way too long to reboot it from within the admin web interface…way too long to wait to change between ‘pages’ in the admin web interface, etc…

Now though, the admin web interface is so slow that it is almost unusable. It takes over 10 (TEN) minutes for it to boot up and get ready to be access via the web browser (I’ve tried both FF and IE). Then, it takes about 5 minutes just for it to fill in all of the fields on the home screen with all of the relevant little pieces of info. Then, let’s say I go to the ‘Shares’ page…it takes minutes (MINUTES) to populate the field on the left and show me the list of shares (same for the ‘Users’ page).

Holy BLEEP Are they serious?

What can we do?
I bought this thing, because of the high reviews in some places. I mean…I knew it was the cheap way to go, but I’m seriously thinking of just getting by with a locally hosted, large internal HDD for a while until I can save up enough to get a Synology or something.

Ideas? Recommendations?

Why did you edit my post where I typed the word BLEEP myself?
That was not your system’s work, but my own typing.

Earlier in the post, I typed a different word, and I understand why that was bleeped (though it is a very mild word for excrement).

However, for the second time that the word BLEEP appeared, that was my typing.
Are you saying that we are not allowed to type the word BLEEP here on this forum?

EDIT: As per your PM, thanks for changing my ‘BLEEP’ back for me.   :slight_smile:

Hamlet can you speed up the technical department
instead edit posts?
Because it’s really embarrassing …

Any news on when new firmware will be released? It appears the last one broke everything that it said it would fix, even when it didn’t seem broken in the first place.

Because to be quite honest, I’m thinking of asking WD for my money back, and going with Seagate instead.

And I’ve tried reinstalling the firmware which is what WD Support suggested. But no change.

And even asking me what time I’d be available for them to call me at home, they ignored what I said and assumed I’m unemployed and called during the day.

Well, WD tech support is finally getting back to me, but asking me to che3ck my cables, router connction, etc…  Even though I described the symptons as described in this forum, they didn;t make the connection.  So I pointed them to this forum and let’s see what happens.  

i doubt anything will happen!

I’m puzzled on this.

I have 2 4TB WDCloud’s - one works at a good speed, the other (older one) is seriously slow when writing anything to it or browsing through the folder structure.

HELP WD!!!

Next week passed
the problem is not passed

WD… wake up !!! …

Well, the sun is shining just a bit brighter today.

After a few emali exchanges with WD they finally agreed to downgrade my firmware (I made the request based on information from this forum).  Today we downgraded to v03.04.01-230 and I am HAPPY to report that drive is now performing very well.  Moving around the web interface is crisp, copying series of files gives constant and good performance, and accessing video files, even during the copies, is very responsive. THis is the performance I originally expected from any drive.

Based on my expereince my recommendation would be to insiat WD downgrade the firmware.

Good luck all, and thanks for the feedback on the forum

1 Like

Am happy to say that reverting to FW 3.04-01-230 has resolved all my problems. Am still amazed that WD has not acknowledged that there are problems with the latest firmware. Surely WD must realize that this FW is hurting their reputation.

Same experience here. Many days of slow performance on the 4.0 firmware and multiple reboots all amounting to nothing. 

Downgraded the firmware and voila… Mycloud performance back to the expected levels (usable vs completely unusable)

Just be careful doing the downgrade and get sanctioned if you can so they don’t say your warranty is null and void.

my firmware downgrade was actually done by WD tech support. They connected to my PC and ran the process directly. So you don’t need to be a whiz, and its sancioned by them.

Well, I called support and got the usual, insulting low-level reset, restart, backup and erase everything and factory restore.

They had no interest in debugging the 4.x issues.

I used the technique at  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Transmission-2-82/m-p/762048/highlight/true#M17192 to revert to the older 03.04.01-230 version and I am testing performance now.  I will report back.

Looks like the downgrade went cleanly.  I captured all of the logs, but it is too much to post in a message.  I can send them if anyone is interested.

The SSH key was changed, but I think I expected that.  I had to fix my known_hosts file, but other than that it looks good.

I await a fixed 4.x firmware someday.  Maybe.  

I wish I knew what made it so slow.