Slow slow performance after WDMYCLOUD firmware upgrade 4.00.00-607

Next week passed
the problem is not passed

WD… wake up !!! …

Well, the sun is shining just a bit brighter today.

After a few emali exchanges with WD they finally agreed to downgrade my firmware (I made the request based on information from this forum).  Today we downgraded to v03.04.01-230 and I am HAPPY to report that drive is now performing very well.  Moving around the web interface is crisp, copying series of files gives constant and good performance, and accessing video files, even during the copies, is very responsive. THis is the performance I originally expected from any drive.

Based on my expereince my recommendation would be to insiat WD downgrade the firmware.

Good luck all, and thanks for the feedback on the forum

1 Like

Am happy to say that reverting to FW 3.04-01-230 has resolved all my problems. Am still amazed that WD has not acknowledged that there are problems with the latest firmware. Surely WD must realize that this FW is hurting their reputation.

Same experience here. Many days of slow performance on the 4.0 firmware and multiple reboots all amounting to nothing. 

Downgraded the firmware and voila… Mycloud performance back to the expected levels (usable vs completely unusable)

Just be careful doing the downgrade and get sanctioned if you can so they don’t say your warranty is null and void.

my firmware downgrade was actually done by WD tech support. They connected to my PC and ran the process directly. So you don’t need to be a whiz, and its sancioned by them.

Well, I called support and got the usual, insulting low-level reset, restart, backup and erase everything and factory restore.

They had no interest in debugging the 4.x issues.

I used the technique at  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Transmission-2-82/m-p/762048/highlight/true#M17192 to revert to the older 03.04.01-230 version and I am testing performance now.  I will report back.

Looks like the downgrade went cleanly.  I captured all of the logs, but it is too much to post in a message.  I can send them if anyone is interested.

The SSH key was changed, but I think I expected that.  I had to fix my known_hosts file, but other than that it looks good.

I await a fixed 4.x firmware someday.  Maybe.  

I wish I knew what made it so slow.

Another one here that can report slow slow mycloud unit.  You can feel the disk absolute thrashing on the side of the unit.

OK, I was having a few slowness issues with FW v03.04.01-230 and decided to check online before updating to 04.00.00-607.  Glad I did after reading messages here.  Any updates anyone?  Are you all still having problems?  I may just wait for the next firmware update…

I suspect that what is making it slow is swapping to disk as it runs out of memory.  What version firmware?

Seems the 3.x firmware needs less memory.

Just adding my view…

After the upgrade to version 4 software, have noticed a *massive* decrease in performance.  If I copy a large amount of data (gigs), everything starts fine then after a while, performance drops off considerably. 

Definately the upgrade - this wasn’t the situation before I upgraded…:cry:

speedf wrote:

Just adding my view…

After the upgrade to version 4 software, have noticed a *massive* decrease in performance.  If I copy a large amount of data (gigs), everything starts fine then after a while, performance drops off considerably. 

Definately the upgrade - this wasn’t the situation before I upgraded…:cry:

My first conversation with WD support I asked about all the issues being reported by users regarding the v4 firmware upgrade - his answer was that those are all user error.  No problems with v4 firmware.  I had already upgraded as soon as I bought the NAS so I was concerned.  It took me several weeks working on my own, reading on this forum and continuing to work with WD support to conclude the My Cloud software is in fact the root of the problem.  So, maybe WD will actually address this problem with another firmware release?

I’ve done a little more investigation…

Restarted the MyCloud and then started copying a few large files (about 22, total of approx 5.5gb) from my PC to the MyCloud (gigabit network/switch). On previous firmware, this wouldn’t have been an issue at all. 

This time, again things started fine then performance dropped off.  Killing the wdmcserver process resulted in a massive improvement!  My copy graph is below (speed increased from almost zero once the process was killed):

Untitled.png

What on earth is wdmcserver doing?  The MyCloud has been on, 24/7 for months now, so I can’t believe the wdmcserver is still performing some kind of “indexing” and, regardless, both media streaming, media serving and itunes server are switched off.

Come on WD - you’re letting us down, something has gone wrong with the latest firmware update…

This is the first chance I had to check the Community since I got the V04 upgrade on my 2TB My Cloud, glad to see that I’m not alone in this problem. For those of you who have been told it’s a user error, have you been told exactly what error you as the user made, and what not to do in the future?

For the record, my upgrade occurred on July 10 at about 05:21 hrs.

I think what we need at this point is to have someone who is good at making videos to make a short video on what we’ve experienced so far, and highlight that WD is giving us no support, and post the video on YouTube. Let’s throw some light on what is going on.

I own 6 PCs, and I have been replacing the non WD hard drives with WD hard drives for the simple reason that the drive being replaced was not a WD hard drive. I guess my faith in WD has been misplaced. I also own 2 my books and 5 my passport drives. Maybe it’s time to start looking for another supplier.

After reading some of the experiences that have been documented, I’m not even going to bother trying to contact WD support, why have my intelligence insulted? Plus I haven’t got the time to troubleshot the problem for them if they are not going to make an honest attempt to fix the problem.

Anyway, takes about 15 minutes for the dashboard to initialize, the number of shares shown on the dashboard does not equal the number of shares that are actually on the drive.

One workaround I found that is good for a little while:

Unplug the MyCloud

Unplug the router that the Mycloud is attached to (in this case takes my entire network down)

Plug the router in, let the router fully initialize.

Plug the MyCloud in, will be okay for a while.

Just unplugging and replugging the MyCloud in does nothing. I tried a reboot through the dashboard, that failed.

Just curious on one thing, what routers are you all attaching the MyCloud to? I’ve seen a few quirky things with routers lately. I’m using a linksys AC1900.

hello, i did this and installed a previous firmware, now its working the way it used to work

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Easy-method-to-downgrade-to-previous-version-of-the-firmware/td-p/773073

Hello!
Thanks for the tip.

But it really is not a question that we solved the case for WD.
WD - Take back to work.

I like your You Tube idea.  If you read user reviews on Best Buy and other online retail sites there are more positive reviews than bad.  Read comparison reviews online and the WD My Cloud gets glowing remarks there too.  See transfer speed charts comparing My Cloud to other consumer NAS offerings and you’re left scrathing your head.  How did they get those transfer speeds?  Only way they could have on v4 firmware would be to disable their own software and test over Gigabit Ethernet and transfering very large files.  So, even after doing some reading online most consumers would be led to believe this is a great product.  Was it that much better with v3 firmware?  I don’t buy it.  Not now anyway after using mine for a month.  If you work with WD support and gripe enough they may offer a refund.  They offerred me a refund.  But I’d have to ship it back and wait 2 months for a check in the mail.  No thanks.  Given that the 4TB Red drive inside cost almost as much as the My Cloud I’m more inclined to remove the drive and install it in a Synology enclosure.  Oh, and WD support won’t confirm what drive model is actually inside My Cloud.  They’ve setup their product numbers so they can be free to interchange different drives at any time they choose.  I have read posts on the forum that confirm a 2TB Red drive for the 2TB My Clouds so hopefully they are all Red drives.

interesting speedf but I need the wdmcserver to stream my movies I guess?

4.x firmware is definatly bugged…

Agreed.  If you need the wdmcserver then you are screwed!

I’ve been running quite happily for days with this process killed, and performance is great.  Rebooted, which started the process again, and performance is terrible.

Not sure what this process is actually doing - I’ve read that it’s some kind of indexing, but it never actually seems to finish.  I’ve left it running for days and it doesn’t seem to finish (and I’m not adding any new pictures/music/videos) during that time.  Perhaps someone from WD can confirm, once and for all, why it doesn’t finish?

as i understand it steaming is handled by twonky, not wdmcserver

speedf, even with both services disabled the green led at the back keeps blinking, without any possible reason, the speed is better now but the drive never goes to sleep (both firmwares)…

And yes I did tested with DLNA FTP and all other services off in the interface…