Slow Dashboard with 02.10.12-129

Hi,

after upgrading to 02.10.12-129 my Dashboard is very, very slow. I am planning to use the MBL for Time Machine. Now I am not really sure if I should do this if there is a problem. Does anybody else have this performance issue? Is there a solution?

Thanks

Andi

I also updated My Book Live 2TB to the same firmware and I too am seeing that the web interface is really really slow.

Moreover, my ATV2 running XBMC (media player) lost connection with the drive after the update and I can’t seem to be able to use it anymore; when i try to connect to My Book Live it says “Operation not Permitted”.

I updated yesterday to the same firmware.  Now dashboard is slow, I can’t get it to complete a self-test, the green LED on the front hasn’t stopped blinking, and the file transfer speed is crawling. 

This occurs in spite of restarting it  a couple times and then letting it run all night.

Any suggestions?

I also started to manually reflash the update this morning.  Nine hours later and it is still saying “Importing file…”

I suggest following this thread:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-10-12-129-for-My-Book-Live-3-14/td-p/371573

If the problem continues, RMA the drive.

That other thread is getting very long and drifts off the topic a little … here’s what I found:

 - Release notes say slow dashboard is a known problem with “some networks”

 - Error log contains lots of entries saying "Unable to resolve "; and

 - Someone posted somewhere a suggestion that changing router DNS settings could fix this.

Putting all these together, I figured maybe some minor network config changes might help, so I:

 - Reset the drive’s network config to use DHCP instead of a static IP address; and

 - Set up my router with static external DNS server addresses (as opposed to going to my ADSL modem for DNS resolution).

Not sure if either of these steps would work on its own, but together everything rocks (again).  Actually I think it performs better than it did before.  Go figure!

Hi Groundslam,

Could kindly help me with a little more detail how to config this.  Thanks, I’m just not too familliar with computer. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I fixed it by enabling ssh.

http://nas001.local/UI/ssh

I logged in over ssh and edited the /etc/hosts file with vi-Editor. I just added the name NAS001 to the end of the first line.

1 Like

Hi Stidge,

Thank you for the info.

But, can you help me with a little more details instruction how to do this enabling ssh? 

Thanks again :slight_smile:

To enable ssh you need to open the dashboard web application.In my case (mac user) I have to call http://nas001.local/UI

(http://[MBLName]/UI). After login call http://[MBLName]/UI/ssh. There you can check “Enable SSH”. With a client tool like putty you can access the MBL over ssh with root@[MBLName] and the password welc0me. In the directory /etc you can find a file called hosts. You must add the name of your MBL to the end of the first line. You can use the vi editor by calling vi /etc/hosts.

http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html

Hope that helps…

There is a full screen editor named nano which is a whole heap earier for people to use to edit text files.

/etc/hosts =

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mybooklive
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters