Slow access on older WDC WD10EADX drive

I’ve had my desktop for several years (pre-loaded with Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period), so the hard drive has a few miles on it. Everything was fine until it started running extremely SLOOOOOW (hours to boot if it booted or stuck in disk check at 11% for days).

I tried everything I could think of to recover. Automatic repair under windows, boot from USB into Linux (all disk tests came back as ok, but access still slow), bought a new WD disk and reloaded windows (new disk is fine, but access still slow on second drive), ran chkdsk, Acronis test and Data Lifeguard tests on old drive, all report ok.

My data is backed up, but as you can imagine, most of my programs and desktop have become heavily personalized and I’d like to be able to recover my AppData folder as well as some other hidden folders, but the speed of the old drive system is just making it nearly impossible.

I’m scanning the old drive for viruses, but I would think that would impact my current implementation of the OS and not the disk itself. BIOS reports everything as ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Stan

Have you tried replacing the SATA cable?

Thanks for responding.

Yes. When I bought the new drive, I had to buy a new cable. However, I used the old cable on the new drive and the new cable on the old drive. No improvement. I’ve also tried the other ports on the motherboard…

I did try the SeaForce test suite and it did fail the Quick DST, but I understand that’s a common occurrence. Of course there was no diagnostic information provided. I’m suspecting something on the disk controller since every test has passed all surface and seek tests.

Appreciate any help.

But Datalifeguard says it’s fine?

Yes, what limited tests that were available.

That is very strange… I’d trust DLG over the other third party tools personally, but I’d also give support a call - see if they can’t get to the bottom of this.