SlingPlayer - no longer works!

1/12/13

Model: WD TV Live Streaming (non-hub)

Model ID: WDBHG70000NBK

F/w: 1.12.14

Slingbox 350 - Port 5201 (using manual port forwarding and static DHCP lease, NOT uPnP)

I’m a techie merly passing through. I’m posting a workaround I found that may help others, but won’t be back to troubleshoot.

To the folks at WD: I’m very unimpressed with the 3-second input lag, missing WDTV → SlingBox remote control mapping, and lack of timely updates. Even though I found a solution, I will likely return this anyway for a true mini-ITX HTPC and recommend the same to others.

PROBLEM:

Something on the WD TV Live appears to use cached settings on SlingBox’s backend services. At http://support.slingbox.com/ you can see “Last Update Received” and various other internal network settings.

SOLUTION:

Force an update of the SlingBox credentials. Easiest way I found was to break the port-forward, then attempt to connect to the SlingBox from the web. This forces the SlingBox to reconfigure itself and use Sling as an intermediate relay. This allows WD TV Live to work, at which time you can set it back.

[Broken] (WD TV Live) → (Home/SlingBox)

to

[Working] (WD TV Live) → Sling ← (Home/SlingBox)

then

[Working] (WD TV Live) → (Home/SlingBox)

STEPS:

1.) Log into your router and remove any port-forwards to the SlingBox (typically port 5201). [Or if using uPnP, disable it temporarily]. Reboot your router.

2.) [OPTIONAL] Confirm the port-forward is broken by going to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 (Gibson Research ShieldsUP) from your HOME Lan, typing 5201 in the box and clicking “User Specified Custom Port Probe” (bottom left). If it says “OPEN”, the port-forward is still working.

3.) (From a remote, non-lan location*) Access the SlingBox from www.slingbox.com . You will notice it fails to connect, then connects at a reduced speed. If you use “netstat -no” in the command line you should notice it no longer connects to your Home IP:5201, but one of Sling’s IPs:.

*[Connecting from the same Lan MAY NOT force an update!!]

4.) Attempt to connect from the WD TV Live SlingPlayer app. IT NOW WORKS! If you press the Red Button to display stats, you will notice the IP at the top has changed accordingly.

[Once you get the WD TV Live working again, re-enable the port forward]

5.) Log back into your router and re-enable the port 5201 port-forward. Reboot the router.

6.) Confirm the port-forward is enabled by using GRC.

7.) Attempt to re-connect with WD TV Live. When you press the Red Button, it should show your Home IP:5201 again.

CAVEATS:

This requires having simultaneous  access to remote IPs. I was able to do all this while VPN’ed into my router, others may not be so lucky. I also tried to do a Firmware Reset to Defaults and lost some built-in apps, but it did not fix the problem. I am unsure if that affected my solution.

Please only use this as a rough guide. If you are feeling particularly chariable, post if any modified version of this works for you.