Slingplayer issues

Has anyone had issues with the Slingplayer?  I logged into mine and it went thru checking connection, logging in, etc.  However, when it goes to stream the application errors out and says check my connection.  Slingplayer works on 2 computers in the house and I’ve used other apps on the hub.  

I tried the reset button on the bottom already and tried logging out and back into the slingplayer.  any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve been constantly having problems with the slingplayer app too:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/wdtv-slingplayer-problems/m-p/421426#M9615

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Ideas/Fix-the-glitches-in-the-slingplayer-asap/idi-p/424200

Ive emailed tech support which I should get a reply monday.  If enough of us are experiencing this issue and comment and complain to them about it then hopefully they’ll get around to fixing it.  Like you i’ve had no probs with the pc app or sling site, i’ve just downloaded the android app too and it works perfectly and fast which wdtv should be more like.

The slingplayer app is the main reason i bought the box and i feel like i bougt a paper weight, however the netflix app works flawlessly although i read that it wasn’t the case at first but got fixed, fingers crossed slingplayer is fixed or redesigned a.s.a.p

I think folks should also be calling Sling and letting them know.

Sling creates / maintains the application for the WDTV, and, like NetFlix, the app can be updated without a WD firmware update.

How can I update the Sling app without a firmware upgrade?

I’m not sure what is wrong with the setup.  It seems others have had success with the app but I’ve been trying everything I can think of and cannot get the dang thing to work.

You can’t.   Only the Slingplayer Launcher is part of the firmware.   The app itself is downloaded every time you launch it so that any updates made by Sling in the app are available as soon as Sling releases them.

But if the slingplayer app works on other devices and on other people’s wdtvs, why would the issue be with the slingplayer.  something seems to be preventing me from making a connection, but only on the wdtv box…

Have you tried this link?

http://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/wdtv/index.html  (not on firefox, it has flash issues)

It’s basically what you get through wdtv, slingplayer is hit and miss on this in terms on whether it gets a successful connection so it’s safe to say it’s not the box itself.

I’m not sure that Sling does maintain/create the app for the WDTV.  When I call their technical support, they told me that WDTV created the app to interact with Slingboxes.  So when I describe having issues just with the WDTV app, and not Slingplayer or browser aps, they said I should talk with WDTV support.

The feel of the apps are totally different, so it doesn’t surprise me the WDTV created the app…which is ay it needs to be improved before it can really be a selling point for the WDTV Live Hub.  It is just not on par with the other apps that cme with the WDTV.

gkeeney wrote:

I’m not sure that Sling does maintain/create the app for the WDTV.  When I call their technical support, they told me that WDTV created the app to interact with Slingboxes.  So when I describe having issues just with the WDTV app, and not Slingplayer or browser aps, they said I should talk with WDTV support.

The feel of the apps are totally different, so it doesn’t surprise me the WDTV created the app…which is ay it needs to be improved before it can really be a selling point for the WDTV Live Hub.  It is just not on par with the other apps that cme with the WDTV.

As has already been stated the WD service launches a slingplayer app which can be updated by Sling without a change in WD firmware. 

I’m having problems where it will be streaming fine but then at some point at random I’ll get unable to connect to Slingboc. Please check that your Slingboc is on and connected to the network. code:27.  My connection is fine.  I was experiencing this during beta and then they seemed to have fixed the problem at some point b/c it was streaming fine for hours at a time  and over night.  but some time during their final release they must’ve made further changes. I’m lucky if I can stream for 30 mins straight.  I tried brining it up but It was final build and that was what they were releasing…hopefully they are still working on it.

I’ve got the latest firmware and am still having issues w/slingplayer stream freezing while the audio still plays.  This has happened in Good, Better setting.  but so far so good in Basic.  I’d like to be able to stream in the Better Setting on my Sling Solo, but the video continues to freeze.  The slingbox and the router are less than 10 feet away.  This was an issue I experienced when using slingplayer for logitech review.

Recently bought a WDTV Live (3rd gen) and have encountered some of these issues.

Disappointed to see that these date back to June!

What I’ve found:

• very often it times out at the “Getting Slingboxes” stage, so fails to bring up the directory

• when I can get in, it works fine but generally freezes at the Best (HD) and Better levels within the first 15 minutes, forcing me to disconnect and reconnect. This occurs with both a Slingbox Pro-HD and one of the new Slingbox 350s.

I don’t have any issues using either the Mac or PC web player when viewing these Slingboxes. The directory can always be retrieved and it never freezes, and this is on the same network as the WDTV which is 2500km from the Slingbox.

The only time I’ve got the WDTV working was when I tried it on the same LAN as the Slingbox and had it working for an hour without freezing but I don’t know if I just got lucky there.

I have latest WD Live firmware (otherwise the 350 wouldn’t work full stop) and latest Slingbox firmware for both the Pro-HD and the 350.

I contacted Sling over their live chat but they didn’t really help. Apart from trying to fob me off and blame TCP port forwarding issues, they didn’t seem to recognise this issue or seem to bothered about solving it. They basically said if it didn’t relate to TCP forwarding then “it must be the WDTV”.

As a test, I’ve loaded the URL SlingPlayer into my browser and this works fine for long periods without freezing, although it’s an older version of the flash application compared with that uses by the WDTV and thus doesn’t work with the 350 so I can only test the Pro-HD.

Does anyone know where we go from here - is this a Sling issue or a WDTV issue? Do WDTV read these forums and respond?

If I had to guess what the issue was I’d say that either the flash player or something with the WDTV cannot cope at the higher quality settings when the bitrates fluctuates, which would explain why it worked fine when on the same LAN as the Slingbox (a steady network connection) but not remotely.

Since I bought the WDTV purely for it’s Slingplayer (and when it works, the picture quality when it connects to the new 350 at the highest setting is superb) I feel frustrated that I cannot have it working reliably and consider my money wasted.

I originally started off with the pro hd and the slingplayer app was very hit and miss on whether it would connect at all, some later versions of the software have improved in some areas and worsened things in others.  All in all the slingplayer app was pretty much unusable.

My setup has since changed as the capacitors in the pro hd blew out so i’m now connected to a SB350 which ofcourse needed the new wdtv firmware.  With the current setup i have i’ve found it the most stable where the app connects first time every time for me on all qualities without any noise issues that i experienced originally.  I would say that it does still need work though as when i try th hd quality setting it isn’t stable enough to run without freezing at some point.

The current app looks more like the version i’ve seen for the boxee in the sense where there is like a 2-3 sec delay before you see the stream whereas with the pro hd on the older firmware it was instant but unstable.  With the current setup commands do seem to take longer, i’m guessing because of the way the original version of the app i was using worked and the extra delayed/buffered effect caused by the extra 2-3 secs wait before the stream starts.

The most stable and best version of the sling app has been the pc software version which is how the app should be, made compatible for connected devices with the same stability and settings.  Unfortunately the experience of other apps pales in comparison and is not supported by sling any longer and isn’t compatible with the 350 or 500.

i tend to leave it on good quality for the most part and sometimes on better, best hd is unstable and i believe others have also experienced this.  The sling forums don’t seem to be usable for wdtv users but i’ve seen and posted on the boxee section, sling sometimes respond, they also have a facebook page.

That’s my experience pretty much; it’s stable on good, but better through to best and it freezes at some point.

I’ve posted at length in the Sling forums (ovcollyer) in the WDTV section but Sling appear to be completely ignoring the issue.

Can you post there too if you’ve not already? The more people who post then maybe the more chance someone will pull their finger out.

I’ve also raised a ticket with WDTV but that’s been nearly a week without response too.

It’s a farce!

I have a Slingbox Pro HD that I’ve bought in August 2012.

Few weeks ago I’ve started to have problems with WDTVLive Hub Sling Player, the quality is poor while the Windows application has perfect quality.

I’ve also tryed the link that you have posted and I’ve got same results than WDTHLive Hub.

On both cases the quality results shows that the link’s speed with the application is about 268Kbit/s. My internet connection is 3Mbit/s downstream, 256Kbit/s upstream, I have a Home WRT310N router connected to the Cable modem (Motorola SB5100i).

While it happen, my laptop connected to Slingbox.com achieve 8156Kbit/s, then I suppose that there was a kind of routing problem in my router that disable the local home connection between the WDTVLiveHub and the Slingbox.

I’ve tryed to restore my previews Routers backups but everything works in the same way, the failure still there.

Is it possible that Slingbox/WD changed something in the application that prevent the application to perform a local streaming connection between the Slingbox and WDTVLive Hub? My laptop is connected at 8Mbit/s it means it is local.

Any thought about it.

Thank you

regards

Ariel