Sleep problems? Router to blame!

I’ve been getting angry at my “My cloud” recently for incessant gurgling as well as having sleep problems. The incessant gurgling is solved by turning off Cloud access but the clock ticking sound is still present whenever the device is awake. Yes I know that it seems that no one else in the world are having this type of problems and it is only me and I know this by the fact that my other My Clouds with less than 1TB of data doesn’t tick at all and is very quiet.

It is only the My Cloud that is filled to the brim with data that makes a lot of noise plus the fact that it constantly wakes up.

For some reason the My Cloud keeps waking up despite the fact that I turned off cloud access as well as manually killing off all the suspicious routines like openvpn which is still running even with cloud access off, killing off Cron as well as killing off services like restsdk-serverd and wdnotifierd.

The My Cloud keeps turning on at random times through out the day and night.

The only change in the last week or so was the movement of the My Cloud from behind my desk (connected to a switch) over to where my original My Cloud sat for the last two years (connected to my AirPort extreme AC Wifi router).

So last night, out of extreme frustration, I moved it back to behind my desk and connected it to my ethernet switch and it went to sleep and stayed sleeping through the night.

It seems that the switch is protecting the My Cloud from random ethernet signals that wakes it up?

Thoughts?

PS. no pc or macs are mapping the my cloud when not in use.

It would be interesting to know what network traffic is going between the router and the My Cloud.