Sleep mode on power off questions

I have coulple of questions concering sleep mode and turning power off. This is my first NAS drive, and naturally my head is full of questions. I really appreciate you help. Thanks.

1. How quicky mycloud should go to sleep mode ? ( last night it took at least one hour or more )

2. Is sleep mode only possible if all connected devices are turned off ( PC and TV’s)

3. If connected devices are on , but not streaming media from mycloud, should sleep mode go on ?

4. Should I turn mycloud off when I am not using it ( there is no power buttton ), power off fuction is only available through user interface ( software).

5. If I turn mycloud off through user interface, how to turn it on ? ( I guess that user interface is not working when mycloud is turned off) 

6. If mycloud is allways on 24/7, what is the estimated lifetime ?

1.   It takes about 10 minutes of being IDLE.   If it’s not idle, it won’t sleep.

2.   No.   

3.   It depends.   Some devices, like the WD TV, will access backdrops, database files, metadata, etc, even if it’s not actively streaming.

4.   That’s totally up to you.

5.   Unplug it and plug it back in.

6.   Years.

I’m new to this too.  Thanks for those useful questions and answers.

Further to that, am I right in presuming that, if I do turn it off, I should expect it to go into its extended scanning mode when it turns back on (which makes it pretty much unusable for a good while)?

JohnKwd wrote:

I’m new to this too.  Thanks for those useful questions and answers.

Further to that, am I right in presuming that, if I do turn it off, I should expect it to go into its extended scanning mode when it turns back on (which makes it pretty much unusable for a good while)? 

A “Rescan” takes far less time / resources than the initial scans when media are added.

Thanks very much.
I’m very pleased with this device so far.

Will never go to sleep using DLNA if you leave a device still connected.  Just found this out when a Roku box through Roku’s DLNA channel kept the drive on all night.