Sleep mode and dashboard changes

Can’t find answers anywhere for My Cloud drive.

1. How soon will My Cloud go to sleep after a designated period of inactivity?

User Manual quoted my Cloud will go to sleep mode “after a designated period of inactivity” but how long is designated period of time?

1. How soon will My Cloud apply to changes made in dashboard?

Everytime after I changed access type to Read only in dashboard, I was still able to delete or edit files on My Cloud drive in a not so short period of time. So how long it takes to see changes applied?

Thanks!

1. It’s about 10 minutes from what I can tell.

2. Usually by the time it stops saying “Saving…” after you make the change.

Thanks Tony!

1. Good to know it’s about 10 minutes to go to sleep.

2. Even after 20 minutes, after the Saving disappeared, I still can edit/delete files from my Windows 8 computer. So I believe My Cloud drive does not commmunicate back to PC in real time for any changes made on dashboard. Comments? 

2TBuser wrote:

1. Even after 20 minutes, after the Saving disappeared, I still can edit/delete files from my Windows 8 computer. So I believe My Cloud drive does not commmunicate back to PC in real time for any changes made on dashboard. Comments? 

Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure you’re logging into the share using the User ID you have changed on the Cloud?

When permissions are changed, nothing is “communicated” to the client computer.   It will just start getting access denied when trying to do something that’s no longer allowed.

Can you detail the steps you’re using to do this?

Thanks Tony!

Yes. I login from a Windows 8 computer, on ethernet connection to router, with user ID/PW and change Read or Full Access settings in My Cloud’s dashboard. Certainly My Cloud is connected over ethernet too.

Everytime after I change access to Read only, I am always able to delete or edit files still.

After change My Cloud to “Read” only in dashboard;

• if I reset LAN in Windows 8 computer, disable then enable, then I see My Cloud really becomes “Read” only.

• if I don’t reset LAN, after long period of time(usually next day) I see My Cloud becomes “Read” only.

So it looks to me there is a waiting period on My Cloud drive to apply changes made in dashboard. Is it really the case? Or more like something wrong on my end?

Ahh.  Ok, I understand what you’re saying.

Yes, that’s normal for Samba (the system that serves windows shares.)

The changes will only take place when the client disconnects / reconnects.  

It’s actually possible to force changes immediately, but it would require the Cloud to force-disconnect all active connections, at the risk of terminating a file transfer and corrupting data, even on shares on which the permissions weren’t changed.

Tony, thanks for all your explanations!