Simple Network Fix for Dummies (Like ME!)

I’ve run into a problem with my WD Live over the past few months with it not accessing Network Shares at all.  In other words I can constantly click the Enter button on the remote will on the Network Shares under Video, Music, or Photos and it the player will do absolutely nothing.  After resetting the player (3 times), shutting all my systems off and back on (twice), verifying the player is there in the network (yes!), resetting my router (3 times) and even changing the ip address (twice) and replacing the batteries in the remote (weirder things have happen!) I decide to unplug the player itself for a minute.  Then replugged it in, reset the network settings, checked the network settings and VIOLA! it can now access the network (7 computers total) with no problem including all the shared folders.  I guess this was a simple fix that someone like me (been building/customizing/tweaking computer systems and networks for over 15 years) might overlook but it did work in the case.  The only question that remains in my mind is why does the player do this (this would be the 5th time in as many months) in the first place?  But either way if this happens to you as well, simple unplug the power cord from the back (I also unplugged the CAT5 cable so not sure if this helped or not) and then replug it back in (as well as the CAT5 cable) and then once the player comes back online, reset the network settings and you have your Network Shares working again!

For some reason I I keep hearing Homer Simpson’s “DUH!” going through my head now… :wink:

Welcome to the forums.

This is also in the FAQ as noted in the “General” section of this forum (along with the other “simple” fixes, like resetting your Live unit via paperclip).

The only question that remains in my mind is why does the player do this (this would be the 5th time in as many months) in the first place?

Some of us in the IT industry refer to behavior like this as “Stuck on Stupid,” or SOS for short.

The newer boxes are going to be less likely to exhibit this behavior, because when they are put on STANDBY, they actually purge RAM.   The trade-off is that they take twice as long to start up when turned on, but hey…