SHUTTLE 20TB w 2 EV BAY - 4TB ev RaW HD WON'T MOUNT IN BAY

Hi, I’m having an issue with my G-Technology G-SPEED Shuttle 20TB 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Array with Two ev Bay Adapters (2 x 10TB).

The 2 internal drives are configured RAID 0 and formatted HFSJ (I’m using windows 10 but use Macdrive, no issues accessing this drive on windows 10).

In bay 3 I have a G-Technology ev|Series Reader Atomos Master Caddy Edition and currently in the caddy is a 4TB Samsung EVO Pro SSD (windows 10 sees this drive fine, no issues).

In bay 4 I normally have another Atomos Master Caddy, however I removed this so I could insert a G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE ev RaW USB 3.0 Hard Drive to backup some files on the RAID 0 drives.

Out of the box, the 4TB ev RaW drive is formatted HFS. I inserted and my PC did not register the new drive, didn’t even see it. I opened the G-SPEED software, and it didn’t see it either, it shows the #4 EV bay as empty.

I removed it, hooked it up to my mac and reformateed FAT32, just to see if that was the issue, but still no luck.

When I plug in via the USB connection, my PC sees it without an issue, it’s just in the dock that it’s invisible.

Any idea how to fix this? This is the second time this has happened. The first time I just gave up and copied the files via USB, however this defeats the entire purpose I purchased this unit for, which was to be able to use the 4TB spinning drives for backing up the RAID 0 files.

Thanks!

In this particular case it seems there is something wrong with the SATA connection in the ev RAW since it won’t interface directly via the bay slot but it does work over USB.

There is no difference in performance whether it is in the EV bay or over USB by the way so you can still use it exactly as intended but you can always try getting a replacement EV RaW to see if that fixes the issue.

RMA process online here: RMA Creation