Shuts off while loading

Unfortunately I’ve had nothing but problems with my WD TV Play from the beginning.

The latest problem is when I power on. I get the “loading screen” for about 10 seconds, and then it just powers off again.

I’ve done the reset process via the switch at the bottom with no change in behavior.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Does the LED go off, or just the display?

The LED stays on, but the display turns off. While loading it makes between 50-75 quick “popping” noises over the TV (connected via HDMI).

Thanks

christianwheel wrote:

The LED stays on, but the display turns off. 

Well, then, it’s not powering or shutting off.  The display goes dark at approximately 10 seconds after boot while the WD synchronizes to the HDMI display, but should return about 5 seconds later.

Your issue could be a number of things:

1. Bad HDMI cable.  Try a different cable.

2. Bad port on the TV.  Try a different input on the TV.

3. Bad port on the WDTV.  Try using the WDTV on a different TV.

4. Incompatibility between your TV and the WDTV.

Hmm. Wouldn’t the fact that I can see the “loading” screen over the HDMI connection rule out both the cable and the HDMI ports as the culprits?

Try the av output using the lead supplied. You will probably find that the HDMI handshaking is failing when it goes to the 2nd boot up screen. Yoiu may have to set it manually.

Found the problem - The AV Output was the missing clue!

I have the AV Output connected to my 5.1 audio system for audio only (video is not connected).

For some reason, the WD TV Play decided to use the AV output for video and ignore the HDMI. After I unplugged the AV Output from the back and rebooted, it defaulted back to the HDMI and I was able to manually set it to use HDMI. Then I was able to re-connect the AV Output to the 5.1 for audio.

Thanks to both of you for your help tracking down the problem!

I have the same problem. 

I have enjoyed my WD TV Live and WD TV Live HD for many years now with no problems at all.

After opening the package, I connected the HDMI output of the WD Play to my TV and saw the sign-on screen loading, a blue cloud background with the message “Loading…” displayed. 

After about 10 seconds the screen went blank and stayed that way.  The blue power light stayed on.

After unplugging the unit and repeating this a few times, I was sure the unit was defective because I was using the same cable and TV as on the working WD TV Live.

I returned the first unit and received a second replacement unit.  The exact same behavior!!

This time I connected it to another HDMI port on the TV - same problem.

Then I connected the HDMI to my PC monitor with a different cable - same problem.

When I called WD support, I was told that I must set up the unit first with the composite cable, not HDMI.

This is completely contrary to all instructions, my experience with previous units, and common sense.

Anyway, after connecting the composite cables, sure enough the Loading screen stayed on and led me to a SETUP screen.  Here I setup the network, no problem.

Then I tried to select HDMI as the Video Output mode instead of composite. After completing that step, I was returned tp the SETP screen which still showed “Composite Output”.

Nothing I could do let me switch to HDMI output.

The result, I have returned the second WD Play for a refund. 

This my first disappointment with WD - and yet I see many of you are enjoying it, even though you consider it generally inferior to the two predecessor products.

Any insights or explanations would help!

Rodger wrote: 

After opening the package, I connected the HDMI output of the WD Play to my TV and saw the sign-on screen loading, a blue cloud background with the message “Loading…” displayed. 

After about 10 seconds the screen went blank and stayed that way.  The blue power light stayed on.

Usually it comes back on after a while but depending on the TV attached to it can take very long. One of my TVs would not handshake so I had to connect the player via Composite to manually set it to a low resolution and only then it worked over HDMI.

Dear Techflaws,

Thanks for your answer.

Can you tell me why HDMI handshaking can take such a long time?

What goes on during the handshake?

Why does this happen with both my TV (Sony Bravia XBR KDL52XBR4) and my PC Monitor (Acer X223WBD)?

When you “had” to set the resolution with the composite connection, what resolution did you choose?

Were you then able to restore full resolution with the HDMI display?

Doesn’t this sound like a problem with the design of the WD Play?

Is there a firmware upgrade available?

Thanks for any addiitonal info!

480i (NTSC) and 576i (PAL) are the lowest resolutions for composite.

Once you got a picture, go to HDMI in Setup on the WDPLAY and select  “Auto”

and see if you get a HMDI picture (and any on screen notification from your TV of what resolution is detected. typically it’s either the top left or right of your tv when you switch to a HDMI input)

The point is NOT to set it to auto cause that’s what’s oviously not working. Apparently there are incompatibilites between the player and some TVs. So I did set it to 576i and when I got a picture once connected via HDMI I manually set it to the max resolution of my TV.

Techflaws wrote:

The point is NOT to set it to auto cause that’s what’s oviously not working. Apparently there are incompatibilites between the player and some TVs. So I did set it to 576i and when I got a picture once connected via HDMI I manually set it to the max resolution of my TV.

And we all know how setting a HDMI Manual Resolution is memorized forever and doesent change :wink:

If HDMI “Auto” does not work … then sure, set a “Manual”  Resolution …

But, don’t be surprised if it  “Defaults” back to a different Resolution after a couple of days / shutdowns/ reboot’s

Hasn’t done for yet ever since I’ve set it to 720p60 on my bedroom TV.

Thanks guys for the feedback, but still am not hearing a conclusive explanation.

However, I have been contacted by WD Support, which is greatly appeciated!

The problem is, I have already returned my second WD Play for a refund.

If I hear back from WD support with a rational explanation, I may step up to the plate for a third time at bat.

There’s a saying about that, I think…