Shutdown MyCloud from mobile

I do not often use PC to access my network HDD, but mobiles. Can I shut down my device using Android phone? I don’t see such option on the mobile phone. Please help.

Proton
http://www.vitallogic.net

From the local network, yes it is possible to reboot or shutdown the My Cloud from an Android mobile devices. One such way requires using SSH (enabled through the My Cloud Dashboard) and an app that supports issuing commands via SSH.

In my case I use SSH Button (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pd7l.sshbutton) to issue the SSH commands to either shutdown or reboot the My Cloud. As detailed in the following thread there are several commands one can issue via SSH on v4.x version single bay My Cloud devices. Different My Cloud units or versions may have similar commands or the folder structure may be different.

https://community.wd.com/t/how-robust-is-the-my-cloud-os/136139/7

From that thread, the general commands for use with Windows and Plink (included with PuTTY) is as follows, one can partially use the commands below on Android, see the example screenshots of the SSH Button app below from an Android mobile device for how those commands may be issued (on v4.x firmware My Cloud).

Shutdown and power off:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 /sbin/shutdown -h -P now

Shutdown only:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 /sbin/shutdown -r now

Power off only:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 /sbin/poweroff

Reboot:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 /sbin/reboot

Un-mount USB drive:
"plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 umount /media/usb"

Or

"plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 umount /dev/sdb1"

Sure will test this out, and let you know… Thank you so much

The below image is from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Firefox browser to open the Dashboard. It works the same as on my computers. The shutdown was performed on my home network. I have never tried it away from home because there would not be anyone there to start it back up.

cat0w
USA

[quote=“cat0w, post:4, topic:157418, full:true”]
The below image is from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Firefox browser to open the Dashboard. It works the same as on my computers.[/quote]
Yes using the web browser is another option. However, personally I found it easier and quicker to use the SSH Button app to perform the shutdown or reboot. Two screen presses, one to open the app, second on the programmed button, and the My Cloud shuts down. No need to open a web browser to the Dashboard UI, enter in a password and navigate to the shutdown button. :grinning:

I would like to implement this solution but correct me if I am wrong, this will work only when I am within the WiFi network. Will it work if I have left home and would like to remotely turn off the drive? I understand it has to be physically switched on but I am wanting to shut it down remotely.

Correct, using that app it would typically work while on the local network. The workarounds to this may including using a VPN to access the local network (if running a VPN server) via the mobile device. Or one can try hacking the My Cloud to allow for SSH access remotely. Do a forum search there are other threads that discuss hacking certain My Cloud models to try and gain remote SSH access. Of course allowing remote SSH access does open up the possibility, how ever remote, of the My Cloud being compromised by others.

I tried this but I am getting message Returncode was 127. Tried all combinations.

Did you notice that the instructions Bennor provided are only for v4 firmware? If you have only recently purchased your device, it may be the later v2. The v2 firmware is a different OS (Busybox vs 64k page size build Debian Wheezy), and is less adaptable than the v4, since the entire OS partition is recreated (unpacked from a compressed form) at each boot, whereas on v4 firmware, changes to the OS partition survive reboot, and are only overwritten by upgrading the firmware.

The shutdown commands may not exist, or may exist in a different location. Search the forum for ‘shutdown’, and you might find the relevant instructions for v2 firmware.

It says my Firmware as v04.04.04-101

Okay; you must have been lucky and found old stock… As a ‘tinkerer’, I wouldn’t want a v2 device.

Exactly what commands did you enter in the SSH button command field? I suspect the screenshot images Bennor provided may have been truncated; have a look at the commands in the Plink descriptions.

Or login via SSH (using PuTTY), and check the syntax of the shutdown command (shutdown --help should give the syntax).

And just to check: you did put in the correct IP address, didn’t you, and you have enabled SSH access in the Dashboard?

Stupid question but did you enable SSH through the My Cloud Dashboard Settings?

When you first activate SSH you need to use the default SSH login of root and password of welc0me. Note that’s a zero not an “o” in the password. Typically once enter in the user/password the first time you will be asked to change the password. So if you haven’t done so already access the My Cloud SSH using Putty or similar program first so you can change the password if needed, then try using the example commands I mentioned in the other thread. If they work when using Putty they will/should work when using an SSH program on the mobile device. Once connected via SSH (to a v4.x firmware My Cloud) you can issue the following codes to shutdown or reboot:

Shutdown and power off:
/sbin/shutdown -h -P now

Reboot:
/sbin/reboot

Shutting down has become priority 2 now. I am not able to access the My cloud remotely… Opened a thread. Help please.